New Book from IB

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by u130747, Jul 28, 2003.

1. I incurred many many times the annual commission at Schwab in the early-mid 90s, and received squat from them!! Been with IB 6-8 months trading smaller, and yet they send a book... that, personally.... looks like a worthwhile read! Sitting on my trading desk right now.

IB gets all my referrals!

Thanks IB brothers....!!

Ice
    :cool:

#31     Jul 29, 2003
  2. ktm

ktm

I have two accts with IB, a corporate acct and a personal acct. The corporate acct got a book, my personal acct did not - the corporate acct has a much higher balance. About half the time, either acct falls short of generating minimum commissions in any given month.

FWIW, I think this is an outstanding gesture on IB's part. The nature of the book is to help traders better understand the markets since knowledge equates to better profitability - as the note from TP on the inside cover suggests. Even given a substantial discount to the $95 list, IB obviously ordered a bunch to give to customers at considerable expense of their own. This was a complete surprise and an unexpected effort from a broker and further serves to reinforce my belief that IB is very different from any broker I have ever had.

Harris is the head of finance at USC's Marshall biz school and currently the chief economist at the SEC. He's also a University of Chicago grad. For some reason, Univ of Chicago grads have a knack for good writing on the markets, econ and finance. I have read several other good books by UoC alum.

I'm still not sure of the criteria for distribution of the book, but I'm glad I got one.

#32     Jul 29, 2003
  3. Its worth reading IMHO.

#33     Jul 29, 2003
  4. Aaron

Aaron

Is the book hardcover? I'm interested in buying a copy after you've read it (or if you aren't going to read it). I live in Illinois. Email me at aaron@schindlertradingNOSPAM.com with what you want for it (including shipping) if you are interested in selling.

#34     Jul 29, 2003
  5. IB continues to impress me. Good commissions, good platform. Now a book. Frankly, they didn't need to send the book, I was already impressed. But the fact that they did speaks volumes. Excellent outfit.

OldTrader

#35     Jul 30, 2003
  6. #37     Jul 30, 2003
  7. Outstanding book. Amazing that IB is rewarding people with it. I paid the 90 bucks for it a few months ago and it was worth every penny.

If anyone is interested in picking up a copy off ebay from someone from IB that isn't really into market microstructure, check the following link out.

What got me intersted in the book a while back was one of his academic papers, several of which contain much of the material that made it into the book.

http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~lharris/papers.htm

#38     Jul 30, 2003
  8. prox

prox

Blah, any theory on why some people got it and others didn't ? I'd been averaging 6.8 trades per trading day in the past 10 months.

#39     Jul 30, 2003
  9. Didn't receive one either :(

#40     Jul 30, 2003