New at trading stock

Discussion in 'Trading' started by wade, Sep 18, 2002.

1. wade

wade

I purchased some stock and the company is going public next month. I bought the stock directly from the company. How can I sell this stock once it goes public?

wade

2. I would just open an account with a cheap discount broker, fund it with your stock, sell it, and if you feel like it, close the account and have them send you your money. What seems to be the problem?

3. Probably wasn't a problem, just needed some helpful advice.

What makes me curious is with all the ads for online brokers, how did you find ET? I forget how I found it...and some folks wish I would forget to come back...

Try to get that all set up so when it goes public you can get out and get your money. You didn't say how much you have. I don't care to know but the brokerages have minimums. About the lowest I know is Scottrade. Check out the "Brokers" tab at the top of the page and visit the different sites.

Hope this helps.

4. wade

wade

Thank you both, no problem just lost about what to do. Heard about this place from friend who does trading in his spare time and he said to come here. You see I purchased this stock from a brother in laws friend on a whim. Didn't expect much, i tried once before with some supposed can't lose stock and now that company is belly up and is being investigated.

well thanks!!!

wade

5. regough

regough

1. I am asumming you have the physical stock certificate- this will have to be posted to whichever broker you select(by certified or registered or Fedex)

2. If the stock was bought from the company before it was public, it may very well be restricted- meaning it can NOT be sold for some period of time after the IPO(often times 6 months)