New AMD FirePro Graphics Card keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qqq, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Vertex

Vertex

Combining the last thread with this one, i think you have a power supply problem. When failing power supplies are put under a load all sorts of weird things can start happening. I once had one that i could hear through the audio ports, the sound it made would change with the load. It didnt last much longer before it completely died.

Dig up the specs on the new card vs the old regarding power usage. I would not think it would be that much different but you never know. If your power supply is on the edge it might not take much to push it over.

Pull your box out and clean it with compressed air. Use some judgement, you don't want to blow components off the motherboard :). Focus on the power supply and try to blow out any dust or pet hair. Clean all the fans and heatsinks, it is amazing how much crud can pack into cooling fins. Any contamination can snowball a thermal problem. And thermal problems can lead to lots of weird things just like power problems.

For the specific Youtube lockup/crash, disable hardware acceleration in your browser (ask google how for your browser of choice). If you are using hardware acceleration, youtube videos can ramp up the memory clock on your graphics cards and this changes the power consumption. Normally you would not notice this, but again with power/thermal/whatever on the edge it doesnt take much to push you over. If things work well without hardware acceleration, then I think it could indicate a power supply issue. As your cards are fanless i wouldnt think the cards themselves are overheating.

When you installed the new card, did you install the new driver package? As a rule, the driver packages are backwards compatible. But the new card may need some new driver features maybe. I dont have much experience with multiple cards so i am not sure about the best route to go concerning this.

Do these cards use Catalyst Control Center or whatever the latest AMD suite is? If so, you might be able to monitor the temp and power usage of the cards by opening the Catalyst software. Any bit of information might help you narrow down the root cause.

Sometimes it can be really tough to narrow this kind of thing down without doing some part-swapping.

#11     Oct 20, 2017
  2. KISS: keep it Simple, stupid.
    Most/or some people have crazy computer setups...trade using just one laptop. (or one desktop all-in-one)

Rethink your overall outlook and strategy and philosophy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    #12     Oct 20, 2017
  3. Just curious what was the source of the electrical shock that you had in your computer?

#13     Oct 20, 2017
  4. Maverick1

Maverick1

I had a terrible experience an AMD Radeon graphics card a while back. Learned my lesson:

will NEVER buy AMD again, EVAH!

NVDA only going forward thank you very much!

#14     Oct 21, 2017
  5. That's a point.

The original leaders in the "multi-monitor" market were Matrox and Nvidia. ATI/AMD came along as an after-thought in this market. (ATI/AMD's schtick has always been "high performance gaming" video cards... mostly for one monitor.)

In my 1st multi-mon setup, I used ATI cards. At some point I switched over to Nvidia NVS.... which has always maintained "backward compatibility" with all of its prior NVS cards. Judged by this thread, looks like ATI has not done the same.

Nvidia has "high performance gaming" cards too, of course... in the GeForce line.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    #15     Oct 21, 2017
  6. I have four systems at home and they are all made of AMD Parts. I never had any problems with them. The AMD fire pro is a topnotch card. Its price performance beats the competition, over hyped and overpriced cards, without much effort.
    Furthermore, a quick review of the poster history will tell you that the poster has continues problems with his system. At one time, he posted that he had problem with his system configuration. A second time, he posted that he gets an electrical shock when he touches his computer tower :D. Now, he is having problem with his Video cards!

I think, what we have here is an operator error and has nothing to do with the quality of the AMD fir pro cards.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    #16     Oct 21, 2017
  7. I don’t necessarily think it’s an operator issue. The cards should be as easy as plug n go. If you were on Win10 the drivers would (or in theory) update on their own.

At some point you’ll need to recognize it’s time to get a new computer. If you want to build one and need some pointers than feel free to message me directly. I spent 25 years as a network engineer then became a software developer 6 years ago. I can send you links on Amazon or Fry’s Electronics to price it out. Not looking to sell you anything. Just advice.

#17     Oct 21, 2017
  8. Ah.... defending what you own. Doesn't answer the question about "multi-card extended desktop" and perhaps "backwards compatibility", you know.

#18     Oct 22, 2017
  9. Banjo

Banjo

From his original thread:
    "After trying out various suggestions from all of you, it turned out that one port of the surge protector ( with 8 ports, call it say SP-1 ) had grounding problem. I had plugged another surge protector ( Call it SP-2 ) into that port of SP-1 & had plugged 7 monitors & CPU into SP-2 which caused grounding problem in 7 monitors & Main chassis.

I changed the port & it solved the problem. Still I called the electrician to check all wiring. He put in extra grounding in main supply & problem is gone. But I can't understand how grounding problem could give such a strong electric shock."

I live @ three locations during the course of the year. I require 4 19" monitors plus the laptop screen. Locations all have 4 monitors, I just carry a laptop and use Plugable hardware. Watch the video.
    http://plugable.com/products/usb3-hub7-81x

#19     Oct 22, 2017
  10. I do not think you know what you are talking about!
    Educate yourself! Watch this>
    :sneaky:

#20     Oct 22, 2017