Never talk about the money you make with your friends

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by guy990opl, Apr 30, 2008.

1. poyayan

poyayan

You sound young. Take the advise of others. You can talk about the same thing but different people will react differently. If your friend is a doctor or someone who is very successful, he probably will be very happy for you. If you are talking about buying ps3 or xbox and knew your friends also want the same thing but can't afford it, that is bragging unless you are going to invite him to play with you too.

#21     Apr 30, 2008

2. no offense taken, you are right 100%, what you described happened to me, it was like a deja- vu

thanks to all of you for your posts, i do appreciate it, from now on, i'll be more diplomatic

have a good day

#22     Apr 30, 2008
  3. Very true Coke, but as the saying goes, "It's very lonely at the top." Money changes everything. People just don't like associating with you when you are successful. Money does change people and the people around you.

#23     Apr 30, 2008
  4. RL8093

RL8093

While there may be an element of truth in your statements as they relate specifically to the op's friends, I don't find them to be true overall. Many (most?) people enjoy associating with successful people. However, few people enjoy the company of those who brag about their income or their success. It doesn't matter what they do for a living if all they discuss is money or success. It's a topic that is normally considered rude or insensitive. Ponder it - who wants to listen to their neighbor the engineer (or doctor, or nurse or ....) tell us how much they're making??

For most of these people, their income is 'passively' derived (ie: they're on a regular salary). Since traders are pulling their money from the market every day and are risking significant capital as they do it (unlike others - including salesmen) - discussing their earnings may seem to be analogous to discussing office politics - but it's not..... It's a faux pas...

R

#24     Apr 30, 2008
  5. This is very understandable.
    Look at this hypothetical talking and thinking:

guy990opl: Hi my old friend, I am doing daytrading and so far I am up 100% YTD.

HisFriend: Oh great, how did you do it?

guy990opl: Just follow the trend, you know.
    (thinking: how can I tell you my secret!)

HisFriend: Oh, that is a great strategy. Oh, I have to go to mow my lawn, bye.
    (Thinking: That is BS. OK, When he make $$$, he will not tell me how to do it. When he lose, yeah very likely since all day traders lose, he will want me to lend him $$$ with 0 chance of return. If he lose a lot, he will shot on the street. Avoid this guy like a plague. )

#25     Apr 30, 2008
  6. LOL, we all love to brag (especially to the ladies), but I think this is some helluva good advice ... for many different reasons.

No point in making yourself a target for the haters. ... :)

#26     Apr 30, 2008
  7. that is human nature. when you make higher income, your friends at your former income level will disappear. since you get higher income, you may get a bigger house, get a fancy car, while those things may be easily obtainable to you, but it may be hard for them... why bother to keep friendship with you?

#27     Apr 30, 2008
  8. eagle

eagle

Your conversation subject with your friends have changed since then. You're probably talking about the market with them. This conversation is out of context for them, they aren't interested to talk about the market. It's like talking about sport to the girl, she won't be interested to talk about it.

Like.... Oh no! this guy will just talk about something that I don't know about, it's kind of boring.

So just talk about something that they knew. I'm sure if you find a friend who do the same thing (trading) as you then your conversation will never end......... And the Wall Street subject will enjoy both of you.

#28     Apr 30, 2008
  9. Same problems that lottery megawinners face. When widely published, they are often inundated with friends in need, calls from charities, with "special offers" from salesmen, and other annoyances.

Truthfully, I don't see why it is necessary to discuss success with others. The last thing people need to know, is your salary, wealth, investments, etc.

You drive a BMW and have a home, they don't need to know whether you earn $80K or $800K. Let them guess and keep your mouth shut, if you value your privacy nad current friends.

My reaction to a friend who suddenly start babbling about their earnings would be similar if they started talking about their sex life - "Don't need to know that"

#29     Apr 30, 2008

10. I LOVE AMSTERDAM

#30     Apr 30, 2008