Never shorted options before

Discussion in 'Options' started by mikeenday, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Archin

Archin

Options allow for very high leverage with limited risk and high transaction cost, if you're good enough at trading the leverage is the advantage and transaction cost is not really a factor.
    Try not being mediocre, it will change your outlook on options trading.

#41     Nov 22, 2011
  2. mikeenday

mikeenday Guest

============================================

The only way retail trader can make money is if you are good in direction: up, down or side way (theta trade). However, if you are good in direction, future/stock (like SPY) is the best instrument.
    ============================================

so true, my biggest gain is from swing trading SPY/QQQ.

Opitons trade mostly are a wash, they satisfy my inner need for overtrading. Occasionally score big.

BTW, the other bad thing about option trade is that you can't find a *well-managed* all-in trade. Which is even worse for shorting options.

#42     Nov 22, 2011
  3. IMO, "all-in" and well-managed are diametric conditions. I have known traders that went all-in on American exotics and have a perfect record when utilizing all of their available capital, but there is no corollary when discussing delta1 trades. You cannot go "all-in" on futures and an 50% haircut equity trade would also pale by comparison.

Also, you're hung-up on "shorting" options. You can be short volatility and net-long premium. You can also structure long vol and short gamma (any long calendar). A long fly can be short vol when neutral delta and flip to long vol when trading outside the wing-strikes. Your view of the relative merits of short vol are ill-informed.

#43     Nov 22, 2011
  4. What the hell? I only presented a theoretical example to counter yours. I simply stated the fact is true.

I obviously agree that it's a weak argument, I've already posted several times, I'm short R2K @ 710 since Sunday.

Third of all, in our hypotheticals, no one with a brain would short something worth $1, for exactly the fact we talked about. There is little to gain, and the risk ammount is infinite (without a buy stop), THEORETICALLY! no one is saying that it's all that PRACTICAL, EXCEPT you!

#44     Nov 23, 2011
  5. spindr0

spindr0

There's something very wrong with your reading comprehension if you think that I said that shorting $1 stocks is PRACTICAL.

#45     Nov 23, 2011