Never make fun of old bones. Interesting case law

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zdreg, Jun 25, 2020.

1. zdreg

zdreg

2. mlawson71

mlawson71

Now that was an interesting case. I am glad it was settled.

3. vanzandt

vanzandt

Flip side of that... I guy I grew up with was developing a ten acre site for super high dollar custom homes up outside Ann Arbor. He had worked his way up from just doing cement work like sidewalks as a kid with his dad, to his first spec home, to a few more to a few more... by the time he was 35 he was building million dollar plus homes. Quality stuff. The guy's the quinessential perfectionist. So he bought this this prime piece of beautiful land where all the money was, put in the streets, utilities, all the permits... the whole works. Then he starts selling the lots and building homes.

At some point early on an excavator on one of the lots hit some human bones. They were way deep, so it wasn't like a shallow grave/murder type thing. They didn't know what to do. (Had he called me I'd have said keep f'n digging). Well they called whoever and U of M stuck their nose in things... bringing everything came to screeching halt for several years. Everything except his payments on the land of course! They had to do all these studies to make sure it wasn't some Indian burial ground. He couldn't move a spoonful of dirt, but UM had grad students out there with spoons like they were unearthing something from an Indiana Jones movie.

It almost wiped him and his family out. Luckily as it turned out it was a one off deal, no burial ground. This was about 1998 and he recovered but it was ugly for awhile. He's in FL now lol... building custom homes one at a time... but yeah, he's no fan of "old bones" that's for sure.

zdreg and Clubber Lang like this.