Never add to a losing position?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Free Thinker, Feb 23, 2010.

1. If it's part of your plan great. If you are slaughtering down on whim, well that's a whole other deal.

#11     Feb 23, 2010
  2. There does not seem to be any simple answer. following all the published rules doesn't seem to work either. you can probably average down in some intelligent fashion only if certain conditions exist. e.g. if original reason for getting into trade still exists.

#12     Feb 23, 2010
  3. you also have to consider what you are trading. averaging down on individual stocks is risky. averaging down on indexes and even etfs not so much.

#13     Feb 23, 2010
  4. I remember his thread, I don't recall him post about such disastrous losses though. Do you have a link to a post by him? Or what other info are you basing the above on?

#14     Feb 23, 2010
  5. Yes, the data in the article is accurate and quite cutting edge.

TINS

#15     Feb 23, 2010
  6. If you trade fundamentally, averaging down makes sense. You are betting on something solid: company earnings, future products.......That's perhaps what investment is understood traditionally, the Warren Buffett way.

If you trade technically, you need to compare the gain and loss of averaging down and cutting loss.

Scenario 1: You buy a stock at $20, and it drops to $18. You double up. When it goes back to $19, you sell and breakeven.

Scenario 2: You buy a stock at $20, and it drops to $19.50. You sell and take a loss of 50 cents. When it drops to $18, you buy. When it goes back to $19, you sell and make $1. Subtracting the loss, you have a profit of 50 cents.

Scenario 3: You buy a stock at $20, and it drops to $19, you sell and take a loss of $1. When it drops to $18, you buy and then sell at $19. You breakeven.

#16     Feb 23, 2010
  7. that guy never posted any losses.

#17     Feb 23, 2010
  8. are you sure youarenotsurfer. lol

#18     Feb 23, 2010
  9. Yes, thisisnotsurfer not youarenotsurfer.

:D

ps. finally some solid information posted on elite, thanks for the article!

#19     Feb 23, 2010
  10. I think there is really no statistical edge in averaging down, but that's just my newbie talk. :)

#20     Feb 23, 2010