Nevada State Republican Convention recesses in dissarray

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nevadan, Apr 27, 2008.

1. kut2k2

kut2k2

Ah, politics in the Grand Oligarchic Politburo. :D

The Dems may be a mess but at least they try to keep the appearance of fairness and democracy. I get that there are honest and fair Republicans, but never at the top of the party, I've noticed.

All you truly fairminded Republicans should leave this corrupt party and start a new one. The GOP is beyond repair. And yeah the same is probably true of the Dems. Both these dinosaurs work overtime to maintain a stranglehold on American politics and it's past time we kicked them both to the curb.

Vote independent.

#11     Apr 29, 2008
  2. achilles28

achilles28

Thanks for setting a great example for all us.

A true Patriot.

#12     Apr 29, 2008
  3. nevadan

nevadan

Could the furor in Nevada be having an effect?

Ron Paul is a guest on Bloomberg's Night Talk with Mike Schneider tonight! The media has ignored Paul up to this point....

#13     Apr 29, 2008
  4. he made it to drudge's front page:

"MOVE OVER, DEMS! Chaos over Ron Paul cuts short Republican gathering..."

#14     Apr 29, 2008
  5. nevadan

nevadan

:) :) :)

#15     Apr 29, 2008
  6. nevadan

nevadan

NEVADA REPUBLICAN PARTY

Dear Nevada Delegate:

I would like to thank you and everyone who attended last weekend’s Republican State Convention in Reno. We had a record turnout and we are pleased that so many Nevada Republicans chose to participate.

Unfortunately, we had to recess the convention without completing all of our work. This was done due to a rule change that took place early in the morning – which caused the convention process to take far longer than expected. Over 200 individuals’ names were submitted to the Nominations Committee for consideration to be selected as delegates to the National Convention. Once voting was opened to the floor, another 187 names were submitted. Although some names may have been duplicates, our Nevada Republican Party By-Laws allow delegates the opportunity to speak on their own behalf. Therefore, the process would have lasted well into the evening and perhaps early into Sunday morning. In addition, individual ballots for those names would have to be printed. Therefore, it was evident a recess was in the best interest of the State Convention and its attendees. This was done primarily due to time restraints and the fact that our contract with the Peppermill for the convention hall had expired.

Aside from delegate selection, I am proud to say that we completed all other convention business. We passed rules, bylaws, credentials, and adopted a State Platform which we hope all Nevada Republicans can be proud of. However, delegates still need to be selected to the national convention and we look forward to doing so in the very near future.

Currently the Nevada Republican Party is working hard to find the best possible way to complete our convention business with the selection of delegates to the National Convention. We will work from within our existing By-Laws, which state that the remaining business must be conducted in Washoe County. It is our sincere hope that once we determine the best way to complete our business for the 2008 State Convention, we will have maximum participation and the process will have taken its course in a fair and respectable manner.

Rest assured that once we determine the process by which we can complete our business, all delegates will be notified directly. We would like to thank everyone for their patience during this time.

Sincerely,

Sue Lowden

Chairman

Nevada Republican Party

#16     May 1, 2008
  7. nevadan

nevadan

PRESS RELEASE
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Local Donor Offers Facility for NV State Republican Convention

RENO, NV—Nevadans for Ron Paul has learned that a local Republican is donating a room for the reconvening of the Nevada State Republican Convention. The donor, who wishes to remain anonymous, is offering the use of this room free of charge to the Party.

The anonymous donor spoke today with a member of Nevadans for Ron Paul. Apparently a letter was sent by the donor to Sue Lowden last week offering the use of the Grand Ballroom at the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno to the Nevada GOP. This facility has been reserved for the entire day of June 7th, and has the space and accommodations necessary for the over 1,300 delegates to the Nevada State Republican Convention. The donor expressed their willingness to provide security as well as audio and lightning for the State Convention. The donor is offering this as a turn-key operation for the Nevada State Republican Convention, and is not expecting any reimbursement.

“I’m very concerned about this whole process,” said James Uprichard, a local Republican. “I want my vote to get counted, and I think it was unnecessary for the State Convention to adjourn.” The Nevada State Republican Convention was recessed under questionable circumstances before national delegates were selected. Many local Republicans were dismayed by the abrupt recess.

The donor informed Nevadans for Ron Paul that the State GOP has not contacted them in response to this offer.

Nevadans For Ron Paul is a group of concerned local citizens who want to get Ron Paul elected as President of the United States in 2008.
    Their website is: http://Nevada4RonPaul.com.

#17     May 20, 2008
  8. cool... thanks for the update.

#18     May 20, 2008
  9. nevadan

nevadan

My guess is that "a big turnout" translates to "we are trying to figure a way to get all the no shows into the convention." The original turnout was 62%. Presumably since Romney retired from the race after taking over half the vote in the caucus and before the convention, a large part of the absentee delegates would follow Romney's endorsement of McCain.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...TE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2008-05-21-20-42-05

#19     May 21, 2008
  10. nevadan

nevadan

Here is the latest.

#20     May 30, 2008