Neural Networks

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by SnowMafia, Nov 13, 2007.

1. rcanfiel and HoundDogOne,

Do you have any clue about what you are talking about? Who are you to tell what is possible and what is not? It is not becasue you weren't able to do it that it is not possible...
    I reiterate that "I DO NOT know how to trade manually" but I know a bunch about statisitcs and programming. Check some 1 or 2 years old posts I did about ATS performance.
    Who cares if my blackbox is optimal or sub-optimal. All I care is that I have been using it for over 4 years and that my programme have been making more money trading than I was making working at a Fortune500 technology company.
    The software is allowing me to quit my job easily and pay for a top-tier university to do another masters in Machine learning/Financial engineering.
    So maybe you are right, but it is not relevant as long as my programme makes me enough money to have a comfortable living.
    Cheers,

#31     Nov 28, 2007
  2. Craig66

Craig66

To add to that, one only has to view the results of the MQL trading competition to see that AI has real value in trading, its all there in black & white.

#32     Nov 28, 2007
  3. maxpi

maxpi

Yes, the median participant of the 600+ players has traded his account from $10,000 into ~$5200 in only 8 weeks!! 119 players have actually increased their accounts!!

#33     Nov 28, 2007
  4. My regular work involves machine learning and data mining.

At home I use a combination of NN's, GA's and Tree classifiers.

To be honest, my initial analysis of any data almost always involves a Tree classifier (depends on the data).

Look into WEKA (open source Java machine learning framework).

Like someone else posted, these are tools. The deciding factor is you. You have many decisions to make, i.e. time slice, data pre-processing, etc etc.

#34     Nov 28, 2007
  5. You must be joking. I visited your site many time, You used to post signals for free for a long time a while back.

Notice that you don't provide a serious track record or archive of all your past calls??

Your system does not work, and should be avoided.

#35     Nov 29, 2007
    #36     Nov 29, 2007
  7. I am not trying to impress you or anybody else as I do not know you and I have nothing to gain. You have a MS in Computer Science? So what? I have one as well... Maybe you need to go back to school and relearn your stuff.

Is it better to trade manually? I do not know... But I know that I COULDN'T do it. Does that mean nobody can trade manually? Of course not. Maybe others can, but I can't.

the same goes for you and your pals. You tried to use AI, but you failed and you concluded it is useless. You need to come down to earth and realize that other people can use it differently and succeed.

Your incompetence in AI doesn't prove anything besides that you do not know how to use it properly. My competence proves that you can use AI only and make money.
    My incompetence in trading manually doesn't prove anything besides that I do not know how to do it. Your "success" (IF you are successful -this is A BIG IF) proves that it can be done.

Cheers,

#37     Nov 29, 2007
  8. I have a degree in Computer Science (1982)...
    And 15 years as a full-time trader...
    Manage a 7 figure hedge fund...
    And do about 3,500,000 shares/month.

So I have DUAL professional expertise...
    And might have a different perspective then someone with more narrow experience.

There is no hard information from the AI crowd in this thread...
    It's just a bunch of claims...
    And the website mentioned (markrttrak)... is a joke.

Generally...
    The field of AI involves modeling the most advanced intelligent entity there is...
    The HUMAN BRAIN.

The only way to accomplish this in trading...
    Is to model the thinking process of a human Expert Trader or Market Maker.

Something like a CBR approach to build an expert system...
    Makes sense...
    Especially since well-designed CBR systems have produced near pro level Poker Bots.

But, IMO, using sexy neural nets or immunologic "learning systems"...
    WITHOUT ANY ACTUAL ACCESS TO A HUMAN EXPERT...
    Will produce very marginal results.

This is akin to building Medical Diagnosis Expert Systems...
    WITHOUT ANY INPUT FROM A MEDICAL DOCTOR.

You are better off in the long run...
    Spending a few years becoming an Expert Trader...
    Than just dogmatically building sub-optimal AI systems...
    Which will be competing against Human Experts running ** far more optimal ** systems.

#38     Nov 29, 2007
  9. Good for you and I am happy for you. Not trying to be sarcastic or anything. I am really happy for you. Managing a hedge fund must be difficult and I give you credit you doing it.
    I have a LOW 7 figures account and it is fully managed by my software.

Wrong. Very wrong. This is very far from being "the only way". Maybe that is how they used to teach it in 1982, but today "System Experts" are just a portion of the AI field. Most of AI nowadays is based on statistical models.
    Check the book I mentioned earlier in this thread "The elements of statistical learning by Hastie" as an example. It is all about AI, but doesn't talk once about System Experts.
    The MS in AI at Stanford have few classes in System Experts and many more in Statistics (Check their wbsite).

Wrong again. What we are talking about is building a "search engine" and classifying data without understanding the rules that generate that data (Google? Rings any bells?...)

#39     Nov 29, 2007
  10. andread

andread

valid point

#40     Nov 30, 2007