Neural Networks

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by SnowMafia, Nov 13, 2007.

1. SnowMafia

SnowMafia

What is the scoop on employing neural networks as a tool for trading? Does anyone have an opinion on or know of any informative references on neural nets?

2. Why not just utilize your own neural network (your brain)?

3. Yes I do use them. I have been using them successfully for 4 years now. I do not claim to be an expert in trading (I cannot trade manually and never did), but I am an expert in programming and artificial intelligence. My Automated self -Adaptive Trading System have been trading my account successfully for the last 4 years.

Reference books I used are:
    "Computational Intelligence" by Andries P. Engelbrecht
    "Elements of Statistical Learning" by T. Hastie, R. Tibshirani, and J. H. Friedman

And google of course

Cheers,
    SS

4. bolter

bolter

stocksniper,
    Out of interest what platform(s) are you using for your Net modellling and testing?
    All the best,
    bolter

5. don't be too caught up with neural networks or people who endorse them. They are little more than distractions from learning how to trade, and rarely provide value add (regardless of what people say)

6. genetic algorithms outperform neural nets CLEAN OUT..

7. SnowMafia

SnowMafia

espressivo - Fantastic.

StocksSniper - Thanks for the references.

rcanfiel - What's the basis for your remark? Has this been shown?

Batman - Aren't genetic algorithms in many instances used in conjunction with neural nets. I believe genetic algorithms are used to train neural nets or to evolve the best neural net available. Why do you say that they are better hands down? What are the facts behind your argument?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

8. they are much more faster and better results.

generally u can use a few along side each other NN, GAs, fuzzy logic, chaos and others..

there are many programming APIs for all these models.. including some free ones.. some commerical platorms allow u to analayse data using both NNs and GAs..

9. C#, C++

10. I had many discussions with many people some years back. THe general consensus was it was fool's gold. biocomp was one example

#10     Nov 15, 2007