Neural Network

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by knifecatcher, Jun 20, 2006.

What is your experience with Trading using Neural Networks?

1. I think there is something there and still working on it

21 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. I lost money and waste time on it

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. I made money using NN but not worth the risk

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. I made money consistently using NN and happy with it

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. Hi sp500,

Do you use NN in your trading at all? For what purpose? Your comment also sounded like it can work under proper use.

Thanks,
    KC

#21     Jun 21, 2006
  2. I have contacted Katz and McCormick for their CD a long time ago. They seems like friendly people and they trade themselves. A few months (or could be a year ago), they asked (no hype in the email) if anyone interested in a trading system based on genetic algorithms because it doesn't fit their style of trading. I never bothered with it thinking if it is very good, they would fit their style to it. Now it got me curious.

KC

#22     Jun 21, 2006
  3. unfortunately i'm part of the 90% that will never be able to make it work.
    The only NN that works for me is my head. And the purchase was a bargain because i got it for free.
    :D

#23     Jun 21, 2006
  4. The sample size is too small for now... hopefully we can get to 30 votes. The poll shows that the success rate doesn't look as bad. I also wonder if the NN has improved over the years. What other areas of research shows promise besides genetic algorithms?

I think there is something there: 4 25%
    I lost money and waste time: 7 43.75%
    I made money but not worth the risk: 1 6.25%
    I made money consistently: 4 25%

#24     Jun 21, 2006
  5. Your NN sounds great. Can you quote me a price once it's of no use to you anymore? :D

#25     Jun 21, 2006
  6. Odd, you sure you want it after sp 's done with his?

:eek:

#26     Jun 21, 2006
  7. Good question! Now I'm not so sure. :mad:

#27     Jun 21, 2006
  8. Look at http://avic-c.gluk.org
    I think you can find answer on your question.

#28     Jul 4, 2006
  9. Indeed, ya wrote a lot about a lot of stuff.

If you keep this up, you might actually come close to matching Jack' s renown by the time you reach your seventies.

nononsense
    :)

#29     Jul 4, 2006
  10. inCom

inCom

A couple of years ago I built and tested several NN based models for stocks. I tried many variations regarding network topology, input data normalization, point of insertion of the network into the system and algorithms for weight updating.

Since I was not satisfied with the ubiquitous back propagation rule for learning, I finally constructed a more "advanced" version where weights were updated via a quite sophisticated multiple crossover genetic algorithm.

I used out-of-sample data, walk forward retraining etc etc.

Then I gave up NN and only kept the GA as a very fast and effective form of curve fitting.

While I don't feel so arrogant (I'm arrogant though) as to say mine is the last word on the subject, all I can say is that if NN and GA can make money, I wasn't able to find how. Not a single one of the systems I tested was able to net positive when tested on a non trivial amount of out-of-sample data.

A much simpler pullback system of about 10 lines would have been much better, for a while.

GS

#30     Jul 4, 2006