Neural Nets and Genetic Algorithms?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by AsaFce, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Anyways...

The point would be...

How much a person can handle and manage the NN. Present and Future!

#41     Sep 18, 2003
  2. #42     Sep 26, 2003
  3. After messing with NN's off and on for a few years (Neuroshell), I'll say this:

You are unlikely to develop something profitable.

After awhile it becomes clear that the _profitable_ non-institutional users of NN have some success with trading first (with the exception that proves the rule of a handful that just start banging out strangely creative models that work)

This is not to discourage you from thinking about it as a 'place to go' with your trading efforts. Neuroshell has been worth it for me because it's an excellent mechanical system tester too, and I have greatly enjoyed the learning experience.

I think all of the reactionary verbiage on this thread is kind of weird. But the point they're making is true-- if you are looking for the _quickest_ road to profitability, NN's are a gigantic detour.

I mean, some NN models work. The community of individual traders who make NN's work is tiny, but that doesn't mean you can't eventually join them. And if you do develop models that work, then you have an edge that no one else is likely to discover
    anytime soon. But deveoloping successful NN's and trading systems around them is just as difficult, if not more difficult, than training the neural net in your head.

HTH,
    laziz

#43     Sep 26, 2003
  4. Very nice post indeed, thanks! :)

#44     Sep 26, 2003
  5. I myself am very sceptical if it comes to NN and we do sell an add-on. But one of our members on the wealth-lab site is participating for over one year on our ongoing MarketCall trading game. Apparently he is using the signals from his software http://www.tradingsolutions.com/, which is a NN I believe. The results are very good. You can take a look at the top one hundret traders here http://www.wealth-lab.com/cgi-bin/WealthLab.DLL/getpage?page=Leaders.htm and search for member "garylynn". You might want to contact him and find out more. I know for a fact that there are many very good systems that run without a NN but everyone has their preference.

Volker

#45     Sep 28, 2003
  6. #46     Sep 28, 2003