Networking two XP machines...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxpi, Mar 12, 2008.

1. maxpi

maxpi

I installed a Netgear FA311 card in each of two XP machines. When I cable those two cards together each machine reports that a network cable is unplugged. If I connect the DSL modem to one of them it doesn't report that. What should I configure to get them to see each other?

2. Assuming you're talking about Ethernet cards then you need a crossover cable between them so that the transmit of A is talking to the receive of B and vice versa. Either that or get a small cheap 10/100 or 1000 hub.

3. maxpi

maxpi

dang, i never would have thought of that, i have a hub around here somewhere, thanks!!

4. Tums

Tums

if you want to make a direct connection between 2 computers, you will need a cross cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

This is a handy cable to have around; it only cost ~$5. You can use it to make a quick connection for file transfers, when a network is not available.

5. bighog

bighog Guest

Never needed a wireless router setup because i only use desktops and always in the same next to desk position. I am thinking finally of getting a notebook to take with me for time off and trading in hotels etc for a bit before i move on in the mornings.

Anyway, what wireless router is a snap to setup? No Linksys stuff. How about wireless cards to be installed in the desktop pc's?

Wired is ok, but maybe i can put 2 pc's on the wireless DSL and keep the order entry on the wired cable connection.

Any ideas? I am no connections wizard myself........that router setup stuff can be a pain in the ass with DSL. Take the same puters and the same router you used on a cable setup and then try it on DSL and it has a hell of a time keeping the internet up when trying to setup the second pc. Thks

6. gnome

gnome

Even though you say "no Linksys", the Linksys WRT54GL has won " annual customer choice award" multiple times and has probably the highest customer satisfaction rating at Newegg. And it's a snap to set up.

7. bighog

bighog Guest

Gnome..........Ok, i will take your advise and give it a try. Thks

8. gnome

gnome

Well, I bought it on the rec's of Newegg reviewers, and it has been perfect. No reboots in 6 months, good range on the wireless...

Many Newegg'ers recommend using 3rd-party firmware, but I'm using the stock.

Many also recommend NOT using the setup disk but rather just go the the website and set up. That's what I did and it was easy.

9. bighog

bighog Guest

gnome I think i have found my problems with the routers. I am using a "DRY LOOP" DSL line from ATT for the routers. The problem seems to have been the modem they sent me, a Motorola 2210-02-1002, it is a small piece and i was sheptical; from the get-go.

I did some modern YELLOW PAGES (GOOGLE) and seem to see where many others have had trouble with these "dry loops".........seems they only get 1 internet address. I am not by any stretch of imagination a techie nerd so i was confused why everyone was saying the routers would work. So then i remembered i had an "OLD" DSL router in a closet so i dug it out and it connected to the DSL without the cd etc.

With a little luck .........maybe it was the tiny motorola modem that was the problem.............i will try it tomorrow with that wrt54g modem and usb network diddie i went and bought from Bestbuy. They did not have the exact model you recommended..........but the nerd bird there said it will do fine.

Late night tonight, Formula 1 Qualifying comes on at 1100 est .. :)

Thks, for info..check this out..... http://eatourbrains.blogspot.com/2006/10/cutting-cord.html