Networking dsl connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nealvan, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Well, with a wireless, you can get a couple hundered feet (say a neighbors house) but nothing is stopping a neighborhhod geek from tapping into your network and performing nefarious deeds. A wired router ensures that your LAN stays in house.

#11     Dec 25, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

The router has 4 ports + wireless, if desired.

As far as performance, it's 54MB.... no internet connections are any where near that, wired or otherwise.

#12     Dec 25, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

With WPA2 and an adequate key, neighborhood geeks won't be tapping in.

#13     Dec 25, 2007
  4. Tums

Tums

there are many ways to secure a wireless LAN, including making it invisible to outsiders, accepting connection from registered MAC address, etc.

#14     Dec 25, 2007
  5. nealvan

nealvan

I'm very close to my neighbors. In fact I might want to connect my friend next door because he doesn't have internet and sometimes helps me with projects online.
    I guess that would be very reliable being about 75 or so feet away.

#15     Dec 25, 2007
  6. nealvan

nealvan

Yeah I think I'm going to go wireless. I hate having wires all over. As long as the performance is good it would be better and also nicer looking. I doubt they have this but I was thinking the other day about a wireless monitor because I have my station in the other room but I can't stand the cord running along the wall. It's nicer to see the walls without wires all over.

#16     Dec 25, 2007
  7. nealvan

nealvan

Ok.. I just found this out and might save me time and money here.. My dad is here in his motor home and he has hardware for verizon wireless dsl modem/router. Is there any possibility that this will work with my earthlink? It shows on the box that it will run 4 computers but I'm guessing Verizon maybe made it only compatible with their service?

#17     Dec 25, 2007
  8. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Thanks gnome and Tums, I learn something every day.

#18     Dec 25, 2007
  9. new$

new$

you should have a router [most are 4 ports] at least for the firewall.

you can have as many computers as you want from the router
    by installing a switch- they come in 4,8,16,32 etc ports and the 4 port is usually < $30.00

most would agree that wired is more secure than wireless.
    merry christmas

#19     Dec 25, 2007
  10. nealvan

nealvan

gnome...
    sorry never mind my question.. It appears that it is a combination of a modem/router so it wouldn't work after my earthlink connection. In other words it looks like it's strickly for Verison - in line phone connection doesn't split the ethernet.

Looks like I'll be buying the wireless one for 60.. Good news is I get free shipping though Amazon. I still need to find out how far it will get out and if I could use it from house to house. I might be getting a different one for that reason if there are any that have real good range. I think I need one that is 125 ft to really utilize the 4 computer capability.

#20     Dec 25, 2007