Networking dsl connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nealvan, Dec 21, 2007.

1. nealvan

nealvan

Hello.. I'm asking this question for 2 reasons. First of all I would like to run 2 computers off of my current dsl connection. 1 reason is to have two computers with internet and the other is because I have a relative over.

Is it just a matter of splitting it from the ethernet connection?
    What hardware would I need?
    Will my provider charge me extra?

2. Don't you have more than one port on your DSL modem/router? Most have four nowdays. Just plug one computer into one port and the second into another.

You can't split one Ethernet cable (as far as I know). It doesn't work like cable tv. If your modem only has one port, I think you need to get one that has more.

3. depends on your provider. I have Qwest and they provided modem and router (all in one unit). I can plug in 4 wires, and go wireless. no more cable crap. you google your provider to see what modem and router they provide?

4. chisel

chisel

5. Connect your modem into a router and then connect the router to both computers which shares the connection between the two. You shouldn't have to contact your ISP and you won't have to pay any extra for this since it's the same speed, only shared. You should be able to find a decent router for $50 - $75.

6. nealvan

nealvan

Thanks I think I'll get a router.

7. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Yes Neal, you'll need a router. Might I suggest a WIRED router for security reasons.

8. gnome

gnome

9. nealvan

nealvan

10. nealvan

nealvan

That's true.. I never thought about that. I imagine the wireless doesn't get out that far though?

#10     Dec 25, 2007