Network Attached Storage

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by WinstonTJ, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Can this be done at home on the cheap? I'll build my own NAS setup if it's easy, etc. Looking at something I can tuck away seperate from the main PC just for peace of mind. I need about 1TB - 2TB would be better though.

I know nothing about this other than looking at $700 systems on Newegg.com. Any links or sites where I can learn about this stuff or does anyone have experience with this?

Thx!

2. NAS appliances are cheap as can be. What I would look for is something that supports RAID. RAID is a way to either mirror or stripe disks via RAID5. That way, if you lose a disk, you simply replace the dead drive with a new one and your data is safe and secure.

Check Amazon.com for types of gear available.

If you have an old PC, drop in another drive (cheap!), use windows mirroring and create shares on it for home use too.

The key is multiple copies of any data you want to keep safe and secure- and to separate the copies with geography. Any thing kept under the same roof together is at risk!

3. jumper

jumper

I used to use Raid5 but when a virus infected the files, the Raid5 doesn't protect against that. It protects against hardware failure. I'm not an expert but on one of my networks, I did set up a NAS and used Acronis to back up my main drive. It has worked well. I have it saving a couple of weeks worth of copies in the event one copy is corrupt. It doesn't give you a bootable copy but you can always have a hot swappable drive in the wings with the OS loaded. That way you can restore all the files back on the new primary drive.

4. I currently run RAID1 on my PC - the RAID controller only allows for only RAID1/0 (two drives). I do like RAID1 - I've had a HDD failure already and it's super easy to just swap out the dead drive with a new one.

Ideally I'd like to be running RAID5 in my PC and a full remote backup running RAID1 but since my PC only supports RAID1 that'll have to wait for an upgrade in a few years.

I agree that if it's under the same roof then it's a bit of a waste but not entirely. I'm looking to get two NAS devices and keep one in my house and one at my parent's house. I'd back up my PC locally at my house as well as exteranlly at my parents house - they would do the same. This would allow both of us to be 100% backed up in the event of a total loss (fire, theft, water damage, etc.). In the event of a theft (not likely) I'd have to imagine that a NAS device tucked away in the back of a closet wouldn't be a high priority over a PC/monitor setup along with other more expensive things around the apartment.

Do you just plug these things in to the router behind the firewall and then connect to them via a networked drive? How do you set up a remote connection?

Thanks for reccomending Amazon.com, I'll take a look. Is the best way to go to buy an empty box with RAID controller and buy the drives and do the setup myself or should I look for a pre-built/pre-configured device?

Thx again!

5. Eight

Eight

I had HP's backup system but they shut it down. The thing was it was archival and their software included capabilities to do my local backups to a toaster.

I quit looking for remote backup solutions, I got sick of it all, you can't answer your questions about the service except by signing up in most cases... I want the remote / local bundled for simplicity, almost none do that, I want archival storage, not just emergency backup... most don't do that, and almost none have software that is as somple as it should be... backup has always been a flaky thing, I don't know why, maybe the earning potential is just not that big in that industry...

The idea of finding a counter party and each having storage for the other location is a very good one... hopefully more info will emerge..... that is better than anything I've encountered to date... all we would need is the software.

Edit: this article talks about systems that come ready for internet access, the technology exists already, I wonder what all can be done, I just want fully automatic and transparent operability with encryption... the quest is on.......

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/162627/buying_advice_networkattached_storage.html

6. cstfx

cstfx

Try WHS. You can get an OEM disk for a little over 100 and use the old equipment you have lying around. Adding new drives are a snap too. It is the only OS Microsoft has come out with since DOS that actually does what it supposed to do without any major problems.

7. For remote offsite backup, have a look at http://www.rsync.net

You can use the same tools (eg rsync) for local backup to a file server, or to a USB/Firewire/eSata disk(s). Be prepared to put a bit of effort into getting it setup and automated. It will be worth the trouble.

8. new$

new$

9. I like offsite backup of important stuff as well as local backup of everything.

I like JungleDisk which runs on Amazon's S3 service. You pay $20 for the software, then Amazon charges $.15/GB per month. So, the 10GB of important stuff that I back up costs roughly $1.50/mo. It keeps archive copies of changed files and I can install the software on as many computers as I want.

It's pretty seamless in operation and has saved my butt a couple of times already.

For easy synchronization of files to USB disk or network drive, I like Allway-Synch. It's free.

10. Eight

Eight

They mention FTP servers so I guess it would work with an internet connected NAS... thanks for the head's up...

It just hit me, I have the toaster, if I want remote encrypted archival storage I can backup to a hard drive, bag it up, and take it across the street to my friend's house and stick it in the attic :) At least they will pour me a coffee, Irish coffee if I want, that's the lower tech solution that I like...

#10     Apr 12, 2009