Netflix crushes expectations, up some 9 percent after hours

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by igriot, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Larson

Larson Guest

damnation, the train left the station.

#21     Jan 29, 2011
  2. first real competition to netflix incoming.

Amazon will be rolling out very similar monthly service to netflix's instant viewing. The kicker is will be free as part of the amazon prime membership at $79 a year.

Once rolled out, give amazon sometime to perfect the technology and content and netflix has a real battle on its hand.

All of the netflix instant viewing content are older movies and tv shows, which is exactly what amazon will have. So as long as amazon can execute on the technical side, i dont see why people will not switch to it.

Here's some early screenshot, apparently amazon added the service by accident for a few mins on some prime users accounts.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/29/amazon-rolling-out-netflix-like-video-streaming-for-prime-subscr/

#22     Jan 29, 2011
  3. Looks like a solid pairs-trade setting up in the short NFLX/AMZN here at $46.68 last (1:1). The multiples should begin to converge now that the models are similar. I'll be selling that spread on Monday.

#23     Jan 29, 2011
  4. what do you mean by models?

#24     Jan 29, 2011
  5. Short small position at +44.03 avg. Will add if it gets to 48 and 50.

#25     Jan 31, 2011
  6. ptrjon

ptrjon

I'm a little surprised that based off of this information you're so quick to go long AMZN and short NFLX. I'd say there's a good chance that you'll do ok here, but NFLX is no tamed beast, and it doesn't do what it's told. I'd have a stop set up.

#26     Jan 31, 2011
  7. The haircut required amounts to a 3% allocation; and willing to take it to no more than 10%. Small stuff. You should see my OEX position. ;)

#27     Jan 31, 2011

8. looks like atticus is just testing the water. I would wait personally, dont think the correlation is there yet, considering it's just a very small part of amazon's business, it will be a while before it's launched, and even more time before it has any meaningful impact on netflix (if it happens).

#28     Jan 31, 2011
  9. igriot

igriot

I agree w/Jim Cramer's analysis of Netflix, <a href="http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Facebook-Could-Turn-Netflix-paidcontent-3749624395.html?x=0&.v=1">Facebook could turn Netflix into $400 stock</a>.

#29     Feb 1, 2011
  10. Taking 3 at +41 and walking away. Too costly to maintain in shares. I may re-enter with options if it trades 50+.

#30     Feb 1, 2011