Netflix crushes expectations, up some 9 percent after hours

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by igriot, Jan 26, 2011.

1. igriot

igriot

[​IMG]

Netflix crushed earnings expectations and the shares are jumping around 9% after hours. <a href="http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011/01/26/netflix-crushes-eps-expectations/"> Related article</a> and <a href="http://dock-of-bay.blogspot.com/2010/12/reed-hasting-i-hear-you-im-long-netflix.html"> Analysis </a>

2. hajimow

hajimow

I say NFLX might hit $220 tomorrow.

3. hajimow

hajimow

the rumor is that some hedge funds will push it to 240 squeezing the shorts badly.
    I have never traded nflx.

4. ptrjon

ptrjon

my favorite thing to do is watch my netflix stock sky rocket, then i log into elite trader, then i type the following:

SQUUUEEEEEEEEEEEZZEEEEE!!!!!!!

5. BwPirt

BwPirt

Would shorting it be a terrible idea?

6. ptrjon

ptrjon

well... the people that tell you that this is a perfect time to short are likely the same people who said the same thing at 60, 90, 100, 110, 130, 160, 210, 180, and at 208.

I think people expect NFLX to do what CROX did 2 years ago, but these are two very different companies with very different revenue streams and business models. NFLX is worth much more than 11Billion. Many people are trying to make money providing video content to consumers, and no one is having the success that Netflix has had. Will Netflix's subscription base contract? It's like trying to imagine a scenario where Americans don't shop at Walmart. It's just not something that's going to happen.

I could be wrong, and if I am, there's about 10 posts where I said SQUEEZZEEEEE that people can rub in my face. But I'm pretty confident in this one doubling again- it may take 3 years, but could be less for sure.

7. BwPirt

BwPirt

It's hard for me to believe that though, just because of the rise in all digital formats for media. 3 years seems like enough time to completely do without physical copies of movies. Even though Netflix does offer a streaming service they would still have to highly evolve what they do to survive. Can it be done? Sure. They would have to have some darn good ideas in that time span to completely double again though. Just a thought, for now I guess I'll go long :)

8. hajimow

hajimow

Is it overvalued? yes
    should one short it? No
    what we should do? stay away don't buy, don't short
    who can short? a super rich guy who has access to media and can bash and downgrade it. Then he might make a few bucks.

9. BwPirt

BwPirt

Well darn, I've got the guy part down just not the super rich part. Mostly just sounds like too much trouble for a few bucks.

#10     Jan 27, 2011