Netbook Wifi

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Gcapman, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Gcapman

Gcapman

This might be a dumb question but if I have a a wireless modem device (Virgin Mobile USA) and a netbook with Wifi -- do I need to turn off the Wifi in order to be "safe" ??

Can other users or hackers hack into my system because I have both Wifi and a wireless modem device.

I also, as an extra precaution, subscribe to Comodo TrustConnect Internet Cloud service.

Is this a good way to protect myself?

Please help!

2. Gcapman

Gcapman

I should also note that it is not a wireless router (so I believe that I'm not allowing other PCs to utilize my wireless connection as a wifi gateway)

Does anyone know how I can turn off the wifi for my Toshiba NB505?

I tried looking online for this information but came up with nothing. I know that we have some savvy PC users so I was hoping to get some of their knowledge.

many thanks in advance!

3. Is the Virgin Mobile device a usb device that connects via cell towers?

If so, remove it from the system. Go to Device Manager/ Network Adapters and disable the wifi.

Plug in your usb device and make sure you can connect.

If this is not how you are set up, tell us how it works.

4. Gcapman

Gcapman

It's not that simple to turn off WiFi.........

I already tried that avenue and it was a dead end street

5. Sounds like you bought something that does not give you control over how, when and why it connects and now you're asking about safety.

Direct your question to the manufacturer.

6. Gcapman

Gcapman

Can somebody just tell me if I'm putting myself at risk using the VirginMobile USA wireless modem device when I have a Wifi netbook?

I'm really clueless about this techno stuff?

Thanks so much

7. Mr_You

Mr_You

The simple answer is:

If your WiFi is not connected to a Wireless Access Point then you should be fine. Normally other users/hackers can't connect to your unconnected network devices and start hijacking traffic over your connected network devices.