NetBook+Ninjatrader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TRS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. TRS

TRS

Hi. Help required.

Would a NetBook such as this:
    eM350
    1.66GHz Intel Atom processor
    1GB RAM
    XP Pro

be capable of running NinjaTrader7?
    I'm a discretionary trader with 2 DOM's and 3 charts open.
    Would run additional monitor via external graphics card.
    Looking at it to be backup/traveling setup not primary use.

I find the trading relatively easy it's the technology that confuses :)

Thank you for your assistance.

2. Picaso

Picaso

You will certainly need some more RAM:

---
    Minimum PC Requirements

* Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 2003 Operating System
    * Minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768
    * Minimum P4 Processor or higher
    * 2GB RAM
    * Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (pre-installed on most PC’s or can be downloaded below)
    ---

The processor should be ok, considering you're not going to be running much, but the screen resolution of many netbooks is only 1024 x 600 resolution (get one with 1360 x 768).

You'll probably get better answers in the Ninja support forum: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/forum/index.php

3. TRS

TRS

Cheers Picaso.
    Thanks for setting me straight.

Best Wishes for 2011

4. Ninjatrader demo ran fine on my HP mini 110 with 1 gig of ram. I was only using 1 or two charts, and never a problem. TWS from IB also worked okay. The small screen is a pain, though. I got the netbook for traveling, but next time I'll just get a laptop, preferably with support for a second monitor.

5. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

A few DOM's don't require much memory at all. If you are not going to put other applications running, you could try it to see how it goes.

6. TRS

TRS

Thanks OneCarWilly (hope you work your acct to two cars) and Ray from Ninja Trader. Big thumbs up for NT7 from me.
    Yeah, I'll buy NetBook today and see how it goes.

Thanks all for assistance :)

7. fbirdien

fbirdien

8. TRS

TRS

Hi fbirdien.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Bought netbook I posted about earlier. Purchased for $159 aussie. That's about the price of a leg of lamb or few kg tomatoes down here.

The little netbook runs what I need no worries, although going to add another gig ram to be sure.

Pleased you found my posts "insightful". My psychology was what was holding me back. We're all marching to a different drum though.

Good trades to you