".NET beats JVM any time"...

Discussion in 'App Development' started by quantkang15, Feb 10, 2013.

1. I am using the newest versions of each platform, released within the past year.

Very broadly, they are almost identical functionally in many ways for basic use.

But I find Eclipse richer (but, to be honest, a little more complex to get used to).

For example, there are a number of preconfigured sets of Perspectives in Eclipse. Each is a set of Views that you can customize as you wish. You can switch back and forth all the time with a click. I do not think Visual Studio even has that - just the one level of Views, no sets of Views or Windows.

Now, in Eclipse, new users do tend to get lost in all of the Perspectives initially and not understand what they are. It's simpler in Visual Studio - there are none (or there is only one, if you want to look at it that way).

I think that if you counted the total number of menu functions available, it would be higher in Eclipse.

Eclipse is more tied to a workspace anchored in the file system, rather than Projects and solutions etc.

But, once again. I think people can learn both........

#31     Feb 26, 2013
  2. Interesting...thanks for that feedback COMINTEL.

#32     Feb 26, 2013
  3. hft_boy

hft_boy

[​IMG]

#33     Feb 26, 2013
  4. Yep, I expected that sort of reply...sooner or later.
    It's no wonder why WTF sessions often end in fist fights.

Techies just can't "get along"...always a wise guy, always a difference of opinion, etc.

Maybe this behavior partially accounts for all of the Indian outsourcing. Those guys are just drones....never a complaint or peep from them.

#34     Feb 27, 2013
  5. Too distracted by the "coolness" of tech to think about the actual making-the-money part.

Just send it all to Hyderabad.

#35     Feb 27, 2013
  6. I think your first sums it all up pretty well.

#36     Feb 28, 2013
  7. hftvol

hftvol

lol, and of course the concurrency profiler in VS Ultimate is also inferior to anything Eclipse has to offer. Microsoft haters will always be MS haters, no matter what.

#37     Feb 28, 2013
  8. hftvol

hftvol

You just mentioned the most useless feature that one could imagine in any IDE. Are you actually experienced in programming? A view? Give me a break...And number of menu items? You just disqualified yourself in my book.

#38     Feb 28, 2013
  9. Why do you continually attempt to insult and discredit other posters and trivialize their comments? It is very disappointing.

Stop it. Let's try to have a civilized conversation.

I mentioned several things.

I do not have the time to explain in detail what Perspectives are in detail in Eclipse. Since there is nothing comparable in what you know, Visual Studio, you would not be familiar with them and therefore fail to see their advantages. Therefore,you discount their value. I understand that. Very briefly, they are configurations of Windows suitable for different tasks.

Since an IDE is all about Interactive Development, it is beyond me how anyone could claim the richness and usability of the user interface is an irrelevancy. To the contrary, it is a large part of the usability of the UI.

The number of menu functions may very roughly reflect (not necessarily but it does in this case) the greater functionality offered in Eclipse. Things like style analyzers, data base schema analyzers and generators, etc. I know that some of these may be available in some Visual Studio extensions or versions also. I am asserting that more come with Eclipse. It is not provable one way or the other here. People need to try both and see.

I also mentioned the lack of local History in Visual Studio. If you look at stack overflow or search the web, you will find that this is a highly-requested feature for people coming from Eclipse to Visual Studio who cannot get over its absence in Visual Studio.

I do not have time to justify these in depth here. I suggest people just take these as things to look into and try both Eclipse and Visual Studio.

#39     Feb 28, 2013
  10. I would not say that at all. Visual Studio has some fine and unique features.

Both are fine IDE's.

#40     Feb 28, 2013