Neovest First Alert, Any other alternatives?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Casey30, Dec 13, 2002.

1. JK9

JK9

I disagree completely. I'd check your ISP because my FA Thin quotes (via the internet) are NOTICEABLY faster than my Hyperfeed satellite quotes. The quote latency over the internet is nowhere close to a few seconds. In actuality it is roughly 35-100 ms depending on your ISP plus 50 ms or so for S&P Comstock processing, plus 50 ms for Neovest handling. In total, maybe 1/4 second tops on average.

In a month or two FA is coming out with direct SIAC and NQDS feeds which will improve latency even further.

#41     Jan 19, 2003
  2. nitro

nitro

Hyperfeed does not need to come over satellite. There are those that have PTP T1's or better for their HF data delivery.

It would be no wonder that your thin quotes were faster than the satellite based HF.

nitro

#42     Jan 20, 2003
  3. JK9

JK9

Well, it WOULD be a wonder if FA Thin's quotes were 2 seconds delayed as Casey30 claims, and STILL faster than Hyperfeed's satellite feed.

Hyper's sat. feed latency is approx. 600 ms (for satellite uplink/downlink time) plus 30ms for feed parsing/processing at Hyper's server farms, plus roughly 30-50ms for ground line transport. Thus, if you do the math, Casey's claims don't make sense because FA Thin's quote are faster than Hyper's sat. feed. That's my point Nitro.

#43     Jan 20, 2003
  4. Casey30

Casey30

Well it is great that all you guys are not experiencing significant delays in quotes with the thin client, however I did experience a couple second delays in quotes. As I said, I did speak to their tech support and they did confirm that there can be delays. So all in all, it could obviously vary from one subscriber to another.

I have a extremely fast connection at work and therefore that would not be the reason for any delays I was experiencing.

It seems to me that it would be very difficult to measure in milliseconds the difference in time the quotes were being delayed. I simply looked at my trading software, saw a trade for IBM go off, then a few seconds later saw the same trade go off on FA. I repeated to do that several times just to make sure that a delay was really there. After confirming the difference I called FA tech. No resolution given. They blamed it on inherent problems with sending data over the internet.

I simply am very disatisfied by this product that Neovest has put out. I used the Fat client for 2 years. I used the thin client for 2 weeks and then junked it. No resolutions from tech support and it is greatly inferior to the fat version while at the same time being the same price.

#44     Jan 20, 2003
  5. Today I tested Neovest's quotes against Datek's all I can say that Neovest even somewhat faster by some mlsc or it seams to me, did not see any delays in quotes will continue it tomorrow. I do not know if it was a good test but Datek is the only source of quotes I have at home to test against. I am connected to internet over cable modem and do not have problems having many applications open at once. I contacted Neovest's help and got help without any delay. I think if I have the same stable performance and if I can get my filters work the way I need them I will use Neovest at home.
    Hey Neovest people who are reading this how about some discount ?
    :D

#45     Jan 21, 2003
  6. I have been testing First Alert Quotes versus both AT Financilal and IB'sTWS. They are pretty much all the same, with First Alert sometimes a hair faster.

Casey30 you must have some sort of isolated problem. Someone else mentioned a firewall. Maybe your firewall is hanging things up.

#46     Jan 21, 2003
  7. Today continued testing Neovest internet version. My optimism is fading away. The whole thing reminds me time when I worked as a system tester at Merrill Lynch only now I am not paid.
    Neovest gets its data from Comstock and apparently they have a great miscommunication. I wanted to know what the symbol for SP500 Cash and NASDAQ composite and I was advised to go to Comstock site and look for myself as the tech guy from Neovest can not himself get the updated list of indexes from comstock (this is a sporty and business like suggestion !!!). I spent 2 hours to get a simple filter running correctly, no dice. Will continue tomorrow. I think by the time when I know how to test the system my trial will be up.

#47     Jan 22, 2003
  8. Maybe Sungard Data will buy them and fix the problems, they seem to be buying a company a week this month.

:D

Is anyone here able to run the fat version with a SIAC or NQDS feed. Would like to be able to do that but they told me they don't support them yet.

Bet someone somewhere has figured a way around it.

#48     Jan 22, 2003
  9. Casey30

Casey30

Maybe it is an isolated issue. The tech's at Neovest just made it seem like it was a issue that was prevalent with many users. Now I am beginning to think that the tech guy just didn't want to bother helping me.

#49     Jan 22, 2003
  10. NEW VERSION LOOKS AWESOME?WORKS GREAT. ANYONE ELSE USING IT?

#50     Mar 5, 2003