Neovest First Alert, Any other alternatives?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Casey30, Dec 13, 2002.

1. In my office I am using FA fat and no problem to scan all NYSE, wee do have NYSE group. What you are using is most likely new internet version of Neovest (direct access) which I am testing right now at home and it does not have the NYSE group. They do have limitation for the new version for a group not more than 1000 symbols. The only way to create a filter would be if you can scan market for stocks that meet your criteria if less than 1000 then create your group of these stocks and then create filters that scan only this group. For me this group was scanned by some guy from neovest and he sent me it by mail. I will continue testing it next week but frankly I am already disappointed especially considering Neovest's price. The only test at home I can not do is to check Neovest quotes against some other source for that I have to subscribe to some if I have time next week will do.

If somebody have a working experience with this new Neovest direct access version please share !!!! How is reliability, latency, scanning performance etc.

#31     Jan 19, 2003
  2. lescor

lescor

Is your FA version a subscription directly from Neovest? I get mine from my clearing firm, they maintain the data and I have to call them if there is a problem. I think it must be an older version because it doesn't include things like the new sector scans.

I'd like to get the same thing directly from Neovest, but if I can't scan the whole nyse every two seconds like I do now, the filter that's making me good cash won't work. I haven't spoken to Neovest in a couple months, is the ability to filter like this even in the works, or will we be stuck with 1000 stock limit?

Thanks,
    Corey

#32     Jan 19, 2003
  3. In my office it is direct from Neovest with the datafeed from comstock.
    The internet version I installed at home is a trial and I just started exploring. The first wall that I hit was filters. What I know about the internet version is what I am told by tech stuff. There is no help file for internet version and the only way to find out something is by trying and asking tech people. What I see in the new version is not encouraging at all. They created a bunch of remote filters which are useless to me because you do not know the criteria they are using. If you create your own group that is limited to 1000 symbols and create your filter from this group it is supposed to work OK but I could not find the answer if the ranking is working as it used to, even though you have it in your filter-When Ranked Sort By: Rank, 1st Rank Field, Momentum. The tech guy did not get back to me on friday and wee communicate by mail. It seams like he does not know many things himself and after I ask him something he starts testing to see what is it. Also when I click on a stock in the filter and it linked to chart it is a little bit slower now as it comes from Neovest's server over internet. Do you limit your stocks by volume ? If yes see first how many comes up and then filter on those. This way you can work around. I will continue testing next week and will be comparing Neovest's quotes against Datek's streamer.

#33     Jan 19, 2003
  4. Casey30

Casey30

The quotes are definately slower on the thin client as well as the TOS. Not dramatically but at least by a few seconds. The techs at FirstAlert even confirmed this was the case as the info is now sent via the internet.

#34     Jan 19, 2003
  5. You call a few seconds not dramatic ? This not dramatic simply will kill you if you scalp.

#35     Jan 19, 2003
  6. Casey30

Casey30

True, a few seconds can kill you. That is why I currently don't use the product as a quote or TOS provider. I just didn't want to overexagerate the difference that I noticed in the delay.

#36     Jan 19, 2003
  7. What are you using as a quote or TOS provider ?

#37     Jan 19, 2003
  8. You are paying $300 just for filters ?

#38     Jan 19, 2003
  9. A few seconds? That is ridiculous. It may be slower if you are using dial-up, but I am using the the Thin version over the internet with a fast cable connection (3.3 Mbps), and the quotes are as fast as anything i have used using a T1 line. (I have done numerous testing) This is very important to me because I am a high volume scalper.

As for filtering it is crucial how your firm handles its remote filters with Neovest. The way my firm does it works very well and you can do virtually everthing that the Fat version does with the same performance.

Also, I am not sure if you guys are behind a firewall, but that can really screw things up too.

#39     Jan 19, 2003
  10. Can you elaborate some more ? I am at home behind the firewall and Neovest did not complain. I will test Neovest's quotes against Datek's streamer and will know how it works for me . What can you tell me about remote filter settings how your firm is handling this ?

Thank you.

#40     Jan 19, 2003