neiderhoffer

Discussion in 'Trading' started by aus_SPIder, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Mav, if you don't mind, the VN operation seems rather secretive, like most HFs I suppose (despite his pubs), so I imagine they don't have very many people not on the inside nosing around while they are trading.

I'm curious why you were there? Job interview? Investor? You don't seem to be one of the chosen Daily Spec contributors/hobnobbers/hangers-on (like surfer).

Regards.

#41     Sep 16, 2006
  2. i was only trying to lighten up things here. i knew you were not defending him. i just happen to be interested in vic mainly because: i am a longtime premium writer,followed his accomplishments for years, and i live down the road from him and have toured his place recently.

#42     Sep 16, 2006
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Wayne,

I got an invitation to go to his summer party and I could not turn it down. I would not trade that experience for anything in the world. All life is, is a series of experiences, one right after the other. I wasn't there to judge anyone or question who they were, I was simply there to have a good time, and that I did.

I met some very interesting people, ate a lot of good food, drank a lot of wine, and asked a lot of questions. I should be so lucky.

I'm not a member of the spec list. Just a normal guy from the midwest who normally would never get the chance to hob nob with the rich in CT and took advantage of it.

#43     Sep 16, 2006
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Interesting. I was up and down all over the roads of Weston and Westport. Had a great time. Really nice area. Probably stopped in your driveway when we go lost driving around. His home is a sight to see. Anyone who appreciates art or history would die to spend a day or two in that home.

#44     Sep 16, 2006
  5. Vince1

Vince1

In June, Manchester Trading was down 9.10% YTD and up 39.28% since April 2005 (source: Barclay).

#45     Sep 16, 2006
  6. Thanks Mav!

Very cool you got to go. Whatever anybody thinks of VN and his trading, he's part of Wall Street history and lore, and a definite character. Outstanding opportunity for those fascinated with the trading game.

I doubt very many here (none!) would turn down such a chance.

Regards.

#46     Sep 16, 2006
  7. bighog

bighog Guest

This is 2006, NO ONE these days buys white carpeting. ...:D

Taking shoes off to go to someones house, FUGEDABOUTIT, i do not take my shoes off for anyone. LOL

Come on, these days get a beautiful hardwood flooring and get a bunch of throw rugs (preferably, Iranian etc...:eek: ). Carpets are old fashioned and besides they are a health issue. Cleaning carpets is just silly, they still hold bugs, germs etc. With snazzy throw rugs you simply roll em up and take to a professional RUG cleaners and stay healthy. Thank you in advance..

ps, Vic is a moron in my book. take shoes off, no air conditioner and no talking..spare me PLEASE. :p

PSS, now in the kitchen get a nice looking marble , slate etc floor.
    I spill a lot of things as i jump for joy after another hard day of knocking a lot of handles. ...all in fun. ..:D (but indeed my floors are easy to clean as i am single ...:cool: :p

#47     Sep 16, 2006
  8. Maverick74

Maverick74

Dear Jesus, what are you mumbling about? Hitting the Old Milwaukee a little early today are ya hog? I didn't see one piece of carpeting in his house. I'm sure there was somewhere, but most of it was hardwood floors. Yes, there was talking. And yes, his house has AC. Now pass me my beer.

#48     Sep 16, 2006
  9. lol neiderhoffer sparks most people's interest because hes one of the few contrarian hedge funds left. Trend followers dominate the HF industry, then big arbitrage firms (arb firms tend to each other up as they race to gobble each arb opportunity up) Finally there are contrarians and VN is one of the few truly successful contrarians around.

As well as that he is one of the most fascinating figures around in the HF industry. I mean hell education of a speculator was a great book, couldnt think of Simons, Kovner, Soros or Tudor writing a more entertaining book.

And yes despite that blowup i bet 99% of all ETers would love to trade like him :p

#49     Sep 17, 2006
  10. yeah, i knew that...but things must have changed dramatically since he sold that boatload of 1185 spx puts.

#50     Sep 17, 2006