Negotiating commissions with TOS

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by rspst14, Aug 17, 2008.

1. rspst14

rspst14

I recently opened an account with Interactive Brokers, only to find that I couldn't access TWS from work due to the firewall. WebTrader doesn't have the basic functionality I need, so I'm looking for a new broker who is going to be cheaper than Etrade ($9.99 base rate, 75 cents per option contract.) TOS looks interesting, and everything I've heard about them is generally very positive.

Does anyone know if they will negotiate stock and future pricing, or is it just options? Do I even have any leverage for negotiating if I only average 15 trades per month in a high five-figure account? For most of the trades I make, their rates beat what I'm currently paying at Etrade, but I sometimes make option trades involving a large number of contracts, and that could be significantly more expensive using their standard pricing structure. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could reasonably negotiate for? Is there an inexpensive broker other than IB whose rates I should think about asking for? Thanks for the help.