Negative Theta Options over Weekend

Discussion in 'Options' started by TraderGreg, Jul 24, 2008.

1. WTF is a personal hedge fund?

#21     Jul 25, 2008
  2. Basically, I'm not going to lay out exactly what I am doing but the performance speaks for itself. You don't have it figured out. An iron condor is one example that fits into the larger philosophy, but my version is not textbook.

I take it that with your "good luck" remark that you believe any strategy which relies on market timing will not succeed. If we exclude any strategy that involves timing, what do we have left?

This account is made up a large set of hedges, but I can see where the term "personal hedge fund" could confuse.

#22     Jul 26, 2008
  3. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

You two need to get a room..

#23     Jul 26, 2008
  4. hlpsg

hlpsg

I'm told MM price in weekend decay on Friday afternoons.

Personally I like to take a snapshot of my long theta positions before the weekend on Fri close, and by comparing them with what I see on Monday open, the feeling I get is that on Monday opening, some more decay is priced in.

Logically it wouldn't make sense that you are paid nothing to assume weekend risk. They may take out some premiums on Fri afternoons, and some more on Monday morning.

So as a holder of long options, if you decide that commissions and slippage still make it worth your while, you may want to sell your options on thurs close or early friday morning, and buy them back on monday, late morning.

this is just my theory, I suggest you put on some simulated vega neutral, theta positive positions over the weekend and find out for yourself.

#24     Jul 26, 2008
  5. cdowis

cdowis

You got negative theta over a weekend?

I thank you, my wife thanks you, my dog thanks you. I really appreciate your contribution to my lifestyle.

Keep it up.

PS I think you are asking the wrong question. The real question should be "Do I know what the hell I'm doing? Somebody please help me."

#25     Jul 26, 2008

6. It appears as if you're unclear on what a hedge fund is...

Hedge funds are set up as private investment partnerships that are open to a limited number of investors and require a very large initial minimum investment. Investments in hedge funds are illiquid as they often require investors keep their money in the fund for at least one year.

They're not ones personal capital in a retail brokerage account. Your performance is not really known, all you have presented is a number on a website. For all we know you could have put any number down there is no substance behind it.

Legging into a few trades are not "hedges" nor does hedging an established position constitute a "hedge fund"

As far as timing the markets with options, its not me who does not believe its what history has proven time and again. As far as whats left there are a myriad of strategies which are not centered around trying to time the market.

THats not the topic of this thread sorry to the original poster for getting off track.

Time decay is taken out of options for the weekend usually beginning on Friday as the options are priced days forward throughout the day on Fridays. Each firm may do it slightly differently but ulitmately the market sets the price. Dont forget you're talking about the future theoretical value of the options and anything can happen over the weekend to change the variables you have forcasted for Monday's prices.

#26     Jul 26, 2008
  7. cdowis

cdowis

Yep, if you don't get the position off by Friday early afternoon, forget it. The MM have already factored in the weekend.

#27     Jul 26, 2008
  8. Corelio

Corelio

This is right on the mark...

#28     Jul 26, 2008
  9. I doubt you have any grasp what my trading philosophy is. I'm not going to explain it in detail. If you think it's legging into a condor then that's what I'm doing then. The site is a public stating of my performance which can be proven in 1 minute to someone sitting across the desk interviewing me. What would be my motivation for creating numbers out of thin air? Instead of a 32% excess return over the SP500 over the past year why not 132% or 532%?
    I apologize for using the term "personal hedge fund".

#29     Jul 26, 2008
  10. dmo

dmo

A trade that worked well when I was in T-bond options was to sell premium Thursday before a significant Friday-morning economic number. Premium was usually pumped up in anticipation of the number.

When the number came out it was generally a non-event, and premium would collapse. Then it would collapse more in anticipation of the weekend time decay. When it worked, it was a premium seller's dream.

Of course, every now and then the number would be a surprise, the bonds would move, and ouch! But that's premium selling for you.

#30     Jul 26, 2008