Negative reactions from relatives

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Nobert, Nov 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fonz

Fonz

Most of the time I say "I manage and invest our savings"... Sometimes, I have "It sounds risky" and my answer is always "Not having savings and investments sound risky to me".

#11     Nov 18, 2020
    TheMordy and Nobert like this.
  2. %%
    Sounds right.[Many people are jealous of any investment/trade/ business] And if you profit it really bother$ some of them more/LOL
    Also be alert for simple misunderstandings. A woman raised her voice @ me once + SAID/ ''DALLAS IS NOT A ZOO!!!!!!!!!!'' I politely told her that is not what i said @ all; i noted my banker dad wrote me postcard form the Dallas[TX] zoo''
    Maybe i should have added he was not in a cage also /LOL:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#12     Nov 18, 2020
    Nobert likes this.
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

uhhh actually as a native dallas human i can tell you for a FACT - dallas is a fcking ZOO, with far to many monkey's.

#13     Nov 18, 2020
    murray t turtle and stochastix like this.
  4. volpri

volpri

I had a close friend and co-worker that acted like that. Years ago in the 80’s I bot this book to get some ideas of a tactical nature on how to deal with him. We once went on a jungle trip together and I carried the little book with me and he happened to see it. With a smirk He asked if I had the book for him. So he knew he was being obnoxious but just didn’t care. It was hilarious. We remained friends over the years but each went our separate ways. He died two or three years ago from complications of gall bladder surgery. He wanted his ashes scattered in the caribbean on the north coast of Honduras. In spite of his sniping and snide remarks I have many good memories of him. May he RIP.

The book details how different people act in different ways to be a pain in the ass and gives strategies to “smoke” them out in the open (like a rabbit being smoked out of his den) and show them for what they really are doing. It can be embarrassing to them if done in public as everyone there sees their exposure and their true intention. You might want to check into the book?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    #14     Nov 18, 2020
    yc47ib and Nobert like this.
  5. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

The depth of any impact coming from other people's reactions whether in a form of criticism or sarcasm is how you interpret it relative to the actual truth in your life. No one should put you down, deter you from your dreams, or discourage you. But, remember many times we get upset where "negative" is just practical.

Only you would know where you stand as far as your actual achievements and what this person is saying.
    Have a heart to heart with him, because he is family, and you may find that he is not as bad as you think. Don't Skip X-MAS! It's the happiest day of the year for many, and after this year specifically, we all need a holiday spirit.

#15     Nov 18, 2020
    murray t turtle and Nobert like this.
  6. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

I just tell them that it hurts your feeling and makes you feel bad. So now if they proceed, they realize what they are doing. It is legitimate to express you being hurt. From this point, there are many outcomes, but you get the idea. Make some progress, like a small gain on a trade.;)

#16     Nov 18, 2020
    Nobert likes this.
  7. volpri

volpri

In addition one of strategies (not in the book that I recall but that I discovered that works quite well) is to just agree with them. You take away their argument and they have nothing to fight about. Just say “you know you may be correct. Could you tell me more”. Then just go ahead and do what YOU are going to do anyway paying no attention to their advice.

What you have done is take away their argumentative, condescending, attitude and played to their ego. Just keep saying as they blabber away “wow you could very well be right” ..”I never thought about that in such a way” just be relaxed and play along with them.

Just let ‘em Blab away agreeing with them. They actually may become friendly then. Afterwards just go about your business with whatever you were gonna do anyway in the first place.

Or you can use the tactics in book to smoke them out and show their true intentions ...that will generally “shut” them up but you won’t make a friend because you have exposed them for what they are and what they are doing. But it may help in the long run and they may bypass future opportunities to get under your skin cause they know you won’t stand for it and you will smoke them out into the open revealing to all present their true intentions. They will run like a smoked rabbit or scalded dog.

#17     Nov 18, 2020
    murray t turtle and Nobert like this.
  8. volpri

volpri

I haven’t found that works too good. They already perceive you as weak and now they perceive you as even weaker. Like a cat on a tired mouse they will pounce and finish you off. They could care less about “how you feel” or they wouldn’t be doing this to you in the first place. They well know exactly what they are doing. Usually they will say “oh I am sorry didn’t mean to hurt you” then just continue on being obnoxious. That way they make themselves appear as an innocent person and truly concerned when really they don’t give a shit and will eagerly wait for a subsequent opportunity to pounce.

Basically you can “smoke ‘em out and shut ‘em up” embarrassing them or you can take away their argument by agreeing with them. Either way they don’t really know how to respond as you caught them off guard.

#18     Nov 18, 2020
    Nobert likes this.
  9. Nobert

Nobert

#19     Nov 18, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  10. volpri

volpri

ROFLMAO yes sir that will really shut ’em up! If you want to probe a little deeper ask em what is that contraption they are driving that is parked beside your Porsche GT2?
    46E0ABEF-3BAE-4AFC-92E9-781306BE772E.gif

#20     Nov 18, 2020
    CALLumbus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.