Negative Interest Rates Implications - deflationary and inflationary

Discussion in 'Economics' started by TraderD, Aug 28, 2011.

1. I think you have a very poor understanding of why foreigners (to US and UK) invest such large quantities of money at these absurdly low yields.

#31     Sep 1, 2011
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

No I think those fundamentals are changing. Just you watch.

#32     Sep 1, 2011
  3. Let me ask you this: why do you think there's a huge foreign demand for US/UK/EU bonds at these absurd levels?

#33     Sep 1, 2011
  4. morganist

morganist Guest

I don't think there is going to be that is the problem. I think the US and UK economy are going to tank soon. If they haven't started already.

#34     Sep 1, 2011
  5. Let me clarify: why do you think there has been (say, this year and last) such a huge demand to US/UK/EU bonds at these absurd yields?

#35     Sep 1, 2011
  6. morganist

morganist Guest

The middle east unrest could have had something to do with it.

#36     Sep 1, 2011
  7. And?? The REALLY big reason for steady foreign appetite over the last few years? The billions and billions that get stashed away at every auction?

#37     Sep 1, 2011
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

So what are you saying it is?

#38     Sep 1, 2011
  9. Really? You've been inventing all those macro policy products and you have no idea why there's a huge demand for US government products steadily over the last few years?

Hint: might it have something to do with vast trade surplus that certain countries have built up? Can you complete the remainder of this thought?

#39     Sep 1, 2011
  10. morganist

morganist Guest

Your theory is not backed up by the facts. In the UK there was a bond strike. The US might be different but that will change.

#40     Sep 1, 2011