Negative Divergence

Discussion in 'Trading' started by stonedinvestor, May 13, 2008.

1. If you had seen it, most likely you would have started writing that it is nonsense and you would have done what you did today anyway. Sorry you are not alone. 90% of the people are like you.

#21     May 14, 2008
  2. gobar

gobar

atleast i wrote truth... i am not genius but i also know 1 thing is that i am not the one who is calling qqqq top every day and it always goes higher next day...

#22     May 14, 2008
  3. Yawn.

#23     May 14, 2008
  4. The power of group think and how to use it to your advantage should be the name of an investing book. But today there was a crescendo of group think revolving around the new assumption that we have avoided a recession. Several newspapers hedge funds and brokerages were all chirping the same thing today. I always go the other way when this happens and so I am firmly in the camp of the ole' double dip into recession. And so retail comes to mind as a short as does oil. How to do it though for a shorting novice. this DUG does not go off the per barrel price which is annoying 40% of the index is three majors? What if two of them merge you could lose money! And then there are these crazy DCR plays they have a net asset of zero now because oil traded over 114 for so long it's a split fund long short really confusing maxiShares or something but they are about to come out with a new one based off a $100 strike price which will be interesting the last series had an unfortunate $70 base NAV or something and oil has spiked so much one whole side of the investors have gone belly up.
    Short a retail index that shouldn't be too hard and some form of oil S2007 which of your plays goes up the most when oil itself falls? I begged my mom to sell RIMM today she wouldn't. Par usual just like Ebay and Whole Foods before it ,the round trip has begun. ~stoney

#24     May 14, 2008
  5. Simplistic to the point of being daft but how do these sophisticated, dangerous, ego-building conversations apply to trading? Everything said here will hold true at 1440 as well as 1350.. You still have to handle your trades as always.. Yes, I thought that trip to 1385 was "it".. Then I thought 1405 should be shorted like mad.. then ... etc. Just buy what's strong and short what's weak.. everything else is hero trading... like me trying to short Homebuilders last 8 weeks.

I guess something needs discussion..

#25     May 14, 2008
  6. RIMM has topped??? Really? A friend of mine sold it last week at 119 thinking the same..

#26     May 14, 2008
  7. RETIRE with a name like that you should know it's far too simplistic to say just buy whats working and sell what isn't. When you run say three million or so you need to fully think out portfolios they have to be balanced and have to have some LONG TERM HOLDINGS that means a blend of investing techniques, buying breakouts and mo mo's combined with good solid entry points for long term ideas... I would highlight Covanta CVA the waste energy play that I talked about here many a moon ago as the type of stk I aspire to have more of right place right time & in China, conservative industry- 50% market share... the world of tech moves in it's own crazy patterns of hope and greed and who knows what the real fair price for RIMM is? My mom has $40 profit you take that off THE TABLE when you have other reasons to believe stks are about to pause and reconsider. When you trade a lot of stocks not some ten stock retirement account you have to catch the out performance when you have it; why let a 25% gain become 14% and then 6% simply because s&p is pretty much the same here or there... my word man we move in light seconds now!!!!!! And of the dangerous brilliant comment or whatever, I plead guilty. ~ stoney

#27     May 14, 2008
  8. Stoney,

Her $40 "cushion" more reason you should be able to manage it for her.. With a stock like RIMM the final 10 points are not really hers...

Good point on the large account thing.. slow to turn hence the need to plan ahead a bit... Being Stoned must help in the Markets..<gg> Wish I was sometimes.

#28     May 14, 2008
  9. Stoney usually just throws out a bunch of stock picks usually that Cramer previously mentioned at one time and then makes a bunch of calls. Some of them stick and those are usually the ones that get placed at the top of thread stack. The others just float downwards and are never seen again.

All the gloom and doom in the beginning of the year, the expectation of a recession and all such talk make me believe that we might see 1500 before we see 1300. Maybe we might never see 1300 again.

All I know is that an index has never gone down with so much expectation of gloom and doom. Usually the indexes go down when everyone has bought into the fact that we are going higher. Everyone believes the economy is crap, but it isnt. There is still strength.

#29     May 14, 2008
  10. Port you are an absolute fool. I hate Kramer with a passion everyone here knows that. You sound about nine years old. You will never EVER find one of my picks through him you dolt. I have challenged him many times to a stock off. The whole street.com staff is scared sh*itless of me. They just don't want to give this fine name, stonedinvesting airtime. I put my heart and soul and all my trades into these posts & since I do quite well I'm confident in any recap of my ET calls you care to do. And I dare say if you don't sit down and do it I'll do it for you and humiliate your ass. I can't think of more than a bakers dozen blown calls in over a thousand you ungreatfull snail. And each time I blew myself up everyone was telling me not to. Generally when I give out a pick it does what it's supposed to do go up... And please remember I play in a frisky ball park take my ideas and compare them to your own and you will see the difference deep thinking and research makes.
    geez. ~ stoney

#30     May 14, 2008