Need your help - Open position on statement

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ml77, Jan 29, 2011.

1. ml77

ml77

Thank you both.
    I am going to do everything I can to find a trace of this order. I will keep you posted.

#11     Jan 29, 2011
  2. Don't give up too easily.

Most platforms create a log file. They may not tell you where but you should try to find it. The most likely place (from my experience with the platforms I used) is under C:\Programs\your_platforms_folder, under a "log" subfolder or something. See if you can pin down the log file on the order execution on your computer's end.

From my experience, sometimes the clearing houses have some unreconciled orders, they will try to "stuff" them to somebody hoping they won't get noticed. You may be victimized by that kind of efforts. Do not accept what you believe is wrong. At least do your homework and call the brokerage firm to question them and ask for an investigation.

Also as my daily routine (as mentioned upthread), I do a "screen capture" on all my filled orders on my platform and save them (just MS paint PNG files). In case I have to go back to provide some "proof".

#12     Jan 29, 2011
  3. This post is a red flag. Do the following:

Do you understand the difference between execution date and settlement date?

Do you understand the product you traded in question, specifically the implications of different time zones and 'open for business hours'?

Did you check with your broker for a/ trade confirmations, b/ open orders?

If your answer to any of these questions is 'NO' then you know how to proceed. I also remind you that having an uncontrolled open order on a margin account might mean that you end up with losses bigger than your deposit. Don't wait with this until Monday.

#13     Jan 29, 2011
  4. ml77

ml77

Thank you very much Bolimomo. I did not find a log file yet but I will keep you posted.

Thank you, I do understand.

The trades in question were done intraday during the Wednesday session (in the morning European time i.e. well before settlement in ). So these orders should have appeared on the statement from Wednesday night. They didn't and later appeared as if they happened on Thursday which is impossible as I did not trade this futures contract on that day.
    I have complained about this to my broker since Thursday but this open position is an even more annoying issue. And actually the two issues are probably related: the filled orders are not always recorded on time.

#14     Jan 29, 2011
  5. LeeD

LeeD

ml77, have you sorted the open position out? Please keep us posted.

#15     Jan 31, 2011
  6. As others have said, check the log file to see what trades were actually done. It is possible that the statement is incorrect. Sometimes there is an error in trade reporting. It's a good lesson to all to be diligent and check your statements and make sure all your trades are reported correctly. I'm sure your broker would be willing to sort this out with you. Hopefully they have responsive customer service. Let us know how it works out.

#16     Jan 31, 2011
  7. sent u a pm, same thing happened to me.

#17     Feb 1, 2011
  8. Rookie mistake. Just becuase you placed an order does not mean it was executed. Unless you have the cusip in your execution log you cannot be sure the transaction was executed, or when.

#18     Feb 1, 2011
  9. ml77

ml77

When I logged on Strategy Runner on Monday morning, the platform still indicated that I was flat. The account report (VERY useful) from Strategy Runner showed the missing order was filled (as well when it was filled). So I sent a few screen shots to my broker who forwarded everything to the clearing house.

The clearing house did not reply anything but the next statement (from this morning) finally shows the missing order and everything seems to be back to normal.

So I am relieved but that was an unpleasant weekend for sure and I am definitely going to take screen shots every day from now on.

Thank you all !!

#19     Feb 1, 2011
  10. Great to see a happy ending! :)

#20     Feb 1, 2011