Need to upgrade or replace trading computer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andytk5, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Nothing new. Most "such guys" at any vendor are not up to speed on multi-card, multi-monitor setups.

#41     Aug 15, 2010
  2. andytk5

andytk5

Scataphagos - yeah I have noticed that mostly with the "computer" related guys. Always seem to jump right to insults so maybe they still have some "wasn't cool in high school" related issues..

The board, seems like it is only marginally more than the Gigabyte I was looking at and should be ready fro anything I throw at it later. From my readign the slots are x16 but will get at least x8 with 4 cards so should be solid for my needs.

#42     Aug 15, 2010
  3. andytk5

andytk5

Not sure if there is any benefit to looking into finding SLI ready cards for this setup, I know that depends if gaming is a consideration but if I am getting a 4way SLI board and it may add $10 to each card then maybe I should?

#43     Aug 15, 2010
  4. If you're going to game with the same computer, then you have to build it to the most demanding use. "4-Way SLI" means bridging 4 video cards together (usually high powered ones) so that they act together as one card ... to power ONE monitor at a high frame rate. Is that in your plans?

The Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 or 8400GS cards you should be buying for trading are not "SLI compliant".

#44     Aug 15, 2010
  5. andytk5

andytk5

Yeah that really isn't the point of this build so like you said, stick to the original plan.

Anybody have any experience with this card?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5677104&CatId=1558

I kinda like the card that was already suggested with no fan, but I would have to oreder it and they a bunch of these in stock for cheap. This has a fan so I am concerned it would be loud with 4 jammin away.

then this one doesn't have a fan I just found.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5677105&CatId=1558

#45     Aug 15, 2010
  6. andytk5

andytk5

Everything is here (i7 930 processor, Thermaltake, 850watt corsair, except the ram (in the mail) and have to order the mobo from EVGA and it is $50 cheaper that way instead of going thru compusa. Then ready to jam!

#46     Aug 16, 2010
  7. #47     Aug 19, 2010
  8. andytk5

andytk5

Nice, be interesting to see how high the bids go?

So have the fist batch of 4 monitors here so there is a row of new 22"s on the bottom and my "old" 4 monitor set across the top. Looks ok, will be better when I order the next set of 22"s. Still waiting on the motherboard and the 4 vid cards.

Anyhow problem I ran into is the VESA mounting situation. the 22"s I got are only mounted on a base, with rounded backs and no square 4 bolt are to match my plates. Ooops... Oh well, I have a metal chop saw and drill press so I will be fashioning a large square plate the has a tab protruding from the top that matches the stand mount plates and also will slide up into the back of the monitors to bolt to the OEM mounting holes.

#48     Aug 21, 2010
  9. andytk5

andytk5

Alright, so everything is together using the EVGA X58 way sli board have the harddrive and cr-rom plugged into the red sata ports and keep getting the "detecting drives, done - drives not found. Then Jimicron will detect them, press any key to continue.

Verifying dmi pool data...

Then the balck "windows is loading files" screen comes up, prgress bar going across...

Then right back to "detecting drives, etc... same scenario over and over???

Is it my sata cable config, do I need to change somethign in bios? I have it set for the CD to boot up first since before I switched to the red sata ports neither were recognized.

trying to load windows 7.
    Any help?

#49     Aug 24, 2010
  10. First of all: did your BIOS detect you have your hard drive in the SATAx position? "x" is the SATA number in your controller. Like SATA1, SATA2, etc..

I think (I may be wrong) that it always boot from the low SATA number first.

If your BIOS has detected your device, it should register the manufacturer's model string (like "WDCxxxxxxx" for Western Digital Drive, something like that.). You should be able to see it listed in your BIOS screen display.

You set the boot priority in your BIOS. Something like this:

SATA
    CDROM
    Floppy

Should set it to boot from CDROM to install Windows.

#50     Aug 24, 2010