Need to upgrade or replace trading computer!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andytk5, Jul 29, 2010.

1. andytk5

andytk5

Ok I see, seems like Intel is preferred over AMD, plus the benchmarks I saw were very close or weighted towards Intel on the AMD1090t vs Intel 870k-875k-920k processors. I'm sure I wouldn't tell much unless I was gaming.

#31     Aug 4, 2010
  2. Andy:

I thought you were doing a budget build and have a preference on the AMD processor so I didn't comment earlier.

I have recently built 2 desktops with Intel i7-930. With 6GB memory. Each is a little over $1000, not including the Windows OS.

Here is the thread where you can find the details on the part numbers etc., and some details on how to build the box:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=195662

The MoBo I used has 3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1 and 2 PCI (the old one). I plugged in 3 x PCIe x16 dual-head display cards (PNY Technologies). No problem. Drives 6 monitors right away. But when I tried to use a couple of the old PCI dual-head display cards, FX5200, I ran into problems. I didn't see FX5200 being supported in Windows 7. I didn't want to spend time to mess with the issue. I ended up buying 2 of the "SIIG USB to VGA" adapters, about $50 each, to drive the extra 2 monitors. So on one of these boxes, I am running 8 monitors on Win7 and i7-930 with 6GB RAM. No problem so far. In an earlier post you worried about compatibility... there you go. One example that worked.

Since I had the impression that you are on a budget in building this new PC, I wouldn't think you would consider the quad cards. Because they are priced higher than a dual for sure. The one cited upthread has a list price of $400+. All the dual head cards I bought (PNY Technologies, SVGA) were about $50-$60 when I pick them up on sale. $100 to drive 4 monitors instead of $400. And you need 2 of them. The price of the 2 quad cards is about the same as your PC itself.

I am using a 600W power supply. I think 1000W is an overkill. I used to have an older generic HP box with a 250W and had 3 dual-head cards in there for years with no issue. But the i7-930 processor does seem to draw a lot more power but I think ~600W is enough.

But you are likely to find challenges trying to keep your old PCI based cards and making them work with the new cards, especially if you have a mix of different brands. It's the best to stick with the same make on these display cards.

Good luck!

#32     Aug 4, 2010
  3. andytk5

andytk5

Wow, great info! Yeah I should have been more clear. Thread started with possibly upgrading this old Dell, then possibly pulling these cards out for a new comp, to straight out new build after hearing some opinions and doing some research. I'll just keep this comp for back up and email etc.. off to the side with it's own monitor or two.

I guess I'm considering budget to be around the $1500~ or so, try to keep it under $2k if there are cheaper ways that serve my purpose.

I was leaning toward the AMD until I started seeing many of the benchmarks, although I know AMD has made it easier to update with their retro and compatibility that Intel hasn't seemed to do. I saw the cost of the 6 core as the same price for the quad Intel, but the Intel i7 was ahead in most of the tests (just what I read).

So I could go the route you went or even get the 4 cards plug them in and run with it. Sounds liike your system is basically what I need, 6G ram, i7CPU, I'll prob do the Gigabyte motherboard that has been listed in here.

How about this card?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133280

Basically what you were talking about?

Edit: great thread you listed by the way, thanks!

#33     Aug 4, 2010
  4. andytk5

andytk5

5. Nice config Andy. I think it should work.

As for the video cards, I have one comment:

The 2 EVGA models that you showed both have onboard cooling fans. IMO cooling fan = #1. extra noise. #2. if/when the fan breaks, it will render your video card useless. I recommend looking at some video cards that have passive cooling (i.e. no fan).

I use 3 of these PNY Technologies cards on my box:

8400GS PCI Express 2.0 16 bit

http://www3.pny.com/8400-GS-DMS-512MB-PCI-e-20-P2875C269.aspx

They are designed as low profile. You see only 1 DVI socket outlet. They give you an adapter which splits out from 1 DVI to 2 DVI to drive 2 monitors. (The DMS 59 cable?) No big deal.

As for the disk drive, the higher rate is about 7500 RPM which is common now. And there are some that goes 10k RPM. The faster the disk spins, the faster the disk RW.

I don't think floppy is all that useful these days. And Blu-Ray disk burners are still expansive than they are worth. Unless you must create single DVD that hold >4 GB... or else just pick up a generic DVD burner. Mine was about $40. Something like that. A Blu-Ray burner is probably >$150.

I think you can wrap it under $1500, Windows 7 included. (But not with the monitors. As each of these monitors is about $200.) With $2k heck you can probably pick up a 160GB SSD.

#35     Aug 4, 2010
  6. andytk5

andytk5

Good point, I have one in the HT hooked to my big screen that really makes some noise running charts on the 65", just a cheap comp when I am showing charts and need a bigger screen.

Think I will go with your card recomendations, especially considering the noise, as well as getting the faster Hard drive - makes sense. That splitter would make things easier too especially since they give you that with the card. Since you mentioned it I don't have a Bluray burner now, just basic CD and DVD burners, have some 8g USB sticks to cover any huge file stuff so yeah, what's the point on the blu-ray.

Yeah looks like with those cards and the OS should be just under, enough to cover shipping, lol!

I'm prob just going with some outlet Dells the 20" or the 22" screens, they are pretty cheap and have had great luck with them for my needs.

#36     Aug 4, 2010
  7. andytk5

andytk5

Alright, just got back from CompUSA and have the Thermaltake case (VH6000BWS), Corsair 850watt PS 80plus, and harddrive.

Had to order motherboard and vid cards. Going with the EVGA E145-2062 motherboard, but still the PNY vid cards for basic display stuff. Can upgrade the cards later if I want to use this beast for something else.

The guys behind the "upgrade" desk, condescending by the way (why do you want 8 monitors??????) cuz I can, how's that? Anyhow, one of them said A - going to need a box fan to cool this... and B - he couldn't get more than 6 monitors to work on XP or Win 7.. Anybody else have any issues like this? Not sure why I would be running into that kind of problem?

#37     Aug 14, 2010
  8. Andy:

I got 8 monitors running on my box with Win7. But my config maybe different. Here is my story:

Win7, ASUS P6T MoBo. It only has 3 x PCIe x16 slots, and 2 x PCI slots, and 1 x PCIe X1 slot.

I have 3 PNY 8400 GS for PCIe x16. Plug them in. No problem. 6 monitors showed up in Win7 right away. It's when I tried to add 2 more that I met a challenge. I have a PNY FX 5200 card, PCI base. I plugged it in, Win7 didn't see it. I couldn't get it to show up. I searched PNY's website. The only that I concluded was per tech spec on FX 5200, Win7 was not listed as compatible. I couldn't find any docs via Google on setting this up in Win7.

I ran out of PCIe x16 slot. And I have 2 PCI slots that I can't use. They don't make/sell PCI display card any more.

I resolved to buying 2 SIIG "USB to VGA" adapters. Plugged them in (USB), installed the driver. Works. Note that they don't use Window's device manager app. You won't see them in device manager. As far as Windows Device Manager is concerned, you have only 6 mons. But the 2 mons driven by SIIG software do work. They are added to the right hand side of the screen. Mon "7" and "8". So I don't know if you use this solution and you want to create a 2x4 array, what kind of challenge you will face. For me this solution works and I don't want to spend time (nor the money) to mess with PCIe x16 quad cards or other video card makes.

#38     Aug 14, 2010
  9. andytk5

andytk5

Ok, great info!

That motherboard I have settled on has 7 PCIe slots

link:
    http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=170-BL-E762-A1&pwindow=specs&family=Motherboard Family&sw=5

so those cards you suggested should be perfect, thanks again.

So I wonder how that will play out now, I have read some other guys using Ultramon as the multi mon software to run it all, also on the MultiplexPC website. I'll try to call EVGA on monday to see what they say when I go to order it. I definitely agree with you about sticking with your idea and not going to the quad cards in terms of money or time.

Thanks again for your help!

#39     Aug 14, 2010
  10. 7 x16 slots! That might be the new champ. Didn't see how they were wired, but perhaps all with 16 data lanes. W7 should handle 8 monitors just fine. You might try that out before buying Ultramon.

#40     Aug 15, 2010