Need to be a great stock trader before you trade options ?

Discussion in 'Options' started by bat1, May 23, 2013.

1. sle

sle

Do you mean "operations" as in middle office or as in "head of derivatives trading"?

#11     May 28, 2013
  2. Right! Like is this noob serious?

OP, what makes you think if you don't know how to time underlyings that you'll be more succesful in their options?

#12     May 29, 2013
  3. perhaps a possibility would be having a Good options strategy tradig volatility, at the Right timing, before Important stock news.

#13     May 29, 2013
  4. jirib

jirib

CBOE offers free online education in option, where they take you through the basics you must know before trading options.

True or False will depend on how you trade options. If you plan to write an IC once a month on S&P or RUT, you don't need to worry about stocks, however, once you want to get deeper, you need to understand how they work.

I cannot imagine trading option without solid technical analysis knowledge, but that only comes with practice.

Goog luck,
    JB

#14     May 29, 2013
  5. Who says he has to trade underlying direction?

#15     May 29, 2013
  6. cmb

cmb Guest

Hehe yeah thats the plan, its what wall street is all about.

Anyway, I have around 10k that I have saved for investing. But, but I feel like I can benefit from trading options, so I funded an account with 1300, the plan is to try and turn it into 10k by the end of the year. I feel like it will make me a better trader if I set up a goal to do something like that. And if I fail, and blow out the account...its only a grand. Go back to the demo account for awhile ;). My goal is to get to trading with shares by the end of next year, but I can gain experience with options, and with 1300 I can make solid gains with that much money, impossible with shares to make money on 1300. Also, with options the funds clear every day, so I have a new round daytrades with a cash account, so more experience there as well.

thats why I think options are good for practice, and if you trade well, you can take your small options real money practice account to a nice trading account in a few months. Once you concur scalping with options...when you have 200k-500k buying power, scalping/trading with shares is much easier and profitable.

#16     May 29, 2013
  7. CBC

CBC

Sounds like a plan cmb,

I started off with 5k and made my way up to 30k in 6 months, I traded only straddles, 1 trade per month because I had no idea which way the market was going to go. I thought it was going to go up when it went down and vice-versa.

Sounds like ur keen.

Best of luck with it. :D

#17     May 30, 2013