need some trading advice

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jedwards, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Occam

Occam

You're probably aware of this already, but just in case you're not, I'll point out that: the difference between backtesting and real life can be "humongous". All backtests performed in the physical universe suffer from some degree of error, and this error can easily exceed one's expected profitability.

#11     Oct 6, 2010
  2. Handle123

Handle123

You backtested it over fifteen months, that's all? You got to be kidding !!! I do backtesting over ten years, taking samples of several months of each year, and absolutely need min of 3000 sample size. If you are risking more than 2% on any one trading signal, you are asking for doom, cut back size till it is under 2%.

Your backtesting should tell you what is top ten worst drawdowns, and what the 'mean" number of losers are, then wait till you get that average and then start trading the method.

Risking what you are and taking losses makes it extremely hard to come back.

After trading three decades, I concentrate on low losing weekly percentages, what do I have to do, to keep losing percentage below 15%, comes down to money management rules. So that means many breakeven to small profit trades and full target profitable trades.

And backtesting never produces what you try to make in real world.

#12     Oct 7, 2010
    beginner66 likes this.
  3. NoDoji

NoDoji

Don't take this too lightly, but you have a real edge here if you can push through the psych barrier.

#13     Oct 7, 2010