Need s/w for testing probabilities on Forex Candles, etc

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by IeatGoldmanSnax, Dec 22, 2012.

1. If you guys don't mind, could someone recommend some good software for backtesting forex-related strategies. Specifically candles. You can do it via PM.

I need to start automating.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I will be happy to post up my research if someone would be willing to recommend some decent s/w

2. Daring

Daring

Ya same here, looking for something similar, where I can test strategies based on MAs and bars.

3. kent

kent

If you can do some little programming you can do this thru Metatrader4 platform. I guess it should be possible in other platforms too.

4. kut2k2

kut2k2

I've heard Metatrader leaves your strategy wide open to forex brokers. Just sayin'.

5. kent

kent

The MT4 EA/indicator code is in your local PC. Unless they have a virus to steal your code from your pc there is no way they can take the code. But if they really want to find out how you are trading they can analyse your entry/exits etc but that can be done by any brokers (not necessarily only MT4).

6. Awesome. Thanks for the responses guys. I was trying to avoid learning a proprietary s/w but maybe i'll just bite the bullet.

take care!

7. kut2k2

kut2k2

The indicator code may be on your PC but it doesn't work until you hook up to the broker's server. No "virus" required for them to access your code. You're totally dependent on MetaQuotes to not let the brokers have access to your codes when it is the brokers (not the traders) who are paying MQ for the software. That's a helluva lot of trust.

And the notion of somebody reverse-engineering your trading strategy from your entries and exits is one of the more laughable urban myths.

8. Can a software engineer weigh in on this? Is it actually possible for a broker to snatch your materials (EA, indicators, etc.) from your PC?

Maybe these functions are built into MetaTrader. As for the connections themselves, most brokers seem to connect to Amazon Web Services or some other high performance SSD cloud service but there are some smaller brokers where the broker server is some "at home" server with the IP address of the broker itself; those are the ones I worry about.

Anyway, a software or network engineer could maybe clear this up for us.