Need roadmap to become successful trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by tinusp, Nov 9, 2006.

1. tinusp

tinusp

Some background:
    I’m a 27 year old South-African, qualified chartered accountant working in auditing and internal control. I’m also a part-time semi professional online poker player.

I’ve always been interested in trading and my goal is to become a successful trader and if possible move to become a fulltime trader and poker player, i.e. quit my job. I can already sustain myself with poker only but don’t see myself living as a professional gambler exclusively.

Poker has taught me a lot of skills that are probably just as essential in becoming a successful trader e.g. bankroll management, discipline and emotional control.

I’m not a complete newbie to investment and trading. I have my own share portfolio of about $100k in South African stocks and have decent knowledge of fundamental analysis and technical analysis.

For someone that wants to learn to become an online poker professional I can write a 1 page road map that will make it a lot easier to that person. It will cover resources to basic rules, software, books, sites, ideas, bankroll management, how to spend time between studying and playing etc.

I’m looking for the same type of thing for trading. Just where do I start?

I also have no clue which type of trading to look at, i.e. forex, futures?

A few things to consider:

•I can spend time on this from about 5pm to 11pm every day, that is US time 10h00 to 16h00.
    •I would like to do quick trades, i.e. mostly closed positions at the end of a session.
    •I can set aside $10k for this purpose; I would have to prove myself profitable with this initial investment.

Any advice will be much appreciated, even if you want to say “stick to your day job” that will be fine or just post a link to some must-read information. An offer to be my mentor would be great.

If you got this far thanks for reading. I know this is a lot of information to ask for in one post but I hope to get something helpful.

Cheers