Need PC Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Money Trust, Feb 8, 2017.

1. So, I'm officially on the market for a new PC. Some lowlives broke into my house and stole all of my electronics including both my desktop and laptop. All I have left is this laptop that I bought in 2007. lol I'm therefore forced to buy another one.

Last time I bought a computer was in 2011, so I'm out of touch with the newest technology, especially in trading. I would appreciate it you guys could help me to understand what I should look for. If it helps, my style is swing trading with the occasional day trading. I'm also a graphic designer, so I'm definitely looking for something that can handle trading and design software without freezing up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. truetype

truetype

3. Dell said the sale would be over earlier this week, but they're still showing the same price list. Suggest one with Xeon E5-1620 or better CPU. The 1603/1607s are dumbed-down.

Money Trust likes this.
  4. I was hoping to wait for my insurance company to cash me out but that may be worth looking into now.

5. Suggest not waiting. Don't know if this is going to be their price policy going forward or they've just been a bit lax about ending the sale. These are very low prices for what you'd be getting. Prices for equivalent ones from their "new" website start ~ $2,000.

Money Trust likes this.
  6. You won't need much in the way of a GPU for trading. These workstations will handle graphic design with a proper video card for the task. Perhaps a Quadro K620 video card on a rig with 16GB RAM? Would that be enough?

https://www.pny.com/nvidia-quadro-k620?sku=VCQK620-PB

7. That's double the ram that I had, so I'm sure that would be sufficient.

8. If 8GB RAM was enough before, you probably don't need 16GB... certainly not for trading. I was wondering about your graphics design use is all. Some graphics design software will use all the RAM you have... more, the better.

9. I wouldn't say that much. At times, I'd have to run one or the other.

#10     Feb 8, 2017