Need more info on Pair & Opening Strategies

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by jnkbox, Feb 14, 2002.

1. jnkbox

jnkbox

Thanks for the replies, I will investigate them all. Keep them coming if anyone has anymore.

However, you guys lost me on the CBOE and the general??? Must be an inside joke?

:)

#11     Feb 15, 2002
  2. jnkbox, besides the crabel book for the opening range breakout pattern, there is an academic paper that may be of interest for pairs trading

Pairs Trading: Performance of a Relative Value Arbitrage Rule
    by EVAN G. GATEV, WILLIAM N. GOETZMANN and K. GEERT ROUWENHORST

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=141615

#12     Feb 15, 2002
  3. We have read most of the mentioned papers, including the Harvard study...and they are of interest, except for one small thing....they don't have anything to do with pair trading methodology and how to implement profitable strategies. (Lest you think I am selling my training course, here are a couple of direct points) :::

Most of the money is made using the crutch trading method where you can lean on the bid or offer of the other stock.

You must envelope (and constantly modify) your bids and offers based on current price movements.

Most of your trades will be single sided, which reduces commissions (heart breaking as it is ...), and gives the trader more income.

Use historical data for selection, but not for trading basis....trade past the "zero" delta postition every couple of days, actually add to expanding trades, and reduce narrowing trades.

There is a lot more, but this should give you something to think about..

Heading for NYC (New York City!!!)....

Bye for now!!

#13     Feb 15, 2002
  4. seisan

seisan

buzzy 2: Good point and useful info in your preceeding two replys !

#14     Feb 15, 2002
  5. jnkbox

jnkbox

Thanks buzzy!!!!

Do you use pair trading yourself as a strategy?

#15     Feb 15, 2002
  6. seisan

seisan

GEEEZ! jnkbox, buzzy2, etal.......

Why is this guy Bright and a few other
    trading pros (proprietary & retail) in
    these forums always pooping on the seemingly sublime
    by forcing the serious student/trader to ACTUALLY
    examine, question and think through newly
    discovered/presented old or new theories & practices?

C'mon, surely they aren't doing it just for some
    altruistic reason - like wanting those who consistently
    challenge themselves to find a way to become successful...

Are theirs some premeditated methods to make the gullible
    as disciplined and equipped as necessary to stand up to
    the demands of the market day in and day out....? Hey,
    that can be demanding and exasperating work!

There must be some conspiracy somewhere in all of this...
    Right..?...

#16     Feb 15, 2002
  7. jnkbox: no i am not using pairs trading, at this moment. but you can find the basic idea, relative value, behind a lot of other strategies like spreads, relationships...

#17     Feb 15, 2002
  8. I have been experimenting with a opening strategy using following logic . Will someone comment on it.Is this the right direction.
    For determining opening strategy
    1 A list of stock in S&P
    2 daily range
    3 Calculate projected daily high and low using pivot technique or DeMark's projected range
    4 S&P future morning reading
    5 Determine market direction
    6 Based on market direction calculate opening price
    7 Add 0.06 to 0.08 and set as (probable) opening price
    8 Put a pre market order using this price on a basket of stocks
    9 Get filled on some of them
    10 Based on Pivot price calculation set sell price at resistance price if filled.
    For calculation of high and low I am using formulas given in Perry Kaufman's book Trading Systems and Methods

#18     Feb 17, 2002
  9. Sorry, but you are way, way, over-complicating it. Forget about pivot or DeMark, forget about direction, NEVER use market orders......and stop reading those silly books!!

Put in Limit buys and sells based on projected opening price from FV and beta for each stock....then close as you read the tape for each stock....follow some ot the other thread about Openings.....

"Trading is as simple as you'll let it be, or as complicated as you want to make it" (since I'm a simple guy, you know where I come from)

:)

#19     Feb 20, 2002
  10. Old style pivots and other such simplistic calculations that are in a lot of books are so old that they'll usually not work as you're expecting. The large private firms ditched those old pre-PC formulas a decade or more ago (one reason these "secrets" are showing up in books now) and they use more advanced analytics and support/resistance projections.

Keep it as simple as possible - use software that can project the SRs as closely as possible (and more accurately than those old formulas will) so you can best understand the price action and then trade as much with the flow as possible. Be prepared to switch hit as the price action dictates - there are a lot of times you can take profits from both the long and short on the same day. If you trade securities that are fairly well correlated with one or more indices and/or futures, use charts of them with SRs as well to help guide your trading and position management.

Unless you're going the full blown MOMO route, there's a lot to be said for trading the same few select securities all the time -- it simplifies your life, you learn something about how they behave, and you can focus your trading methods more. It's also more feasible to work on a specific set of studies and signals for each security (don't expect a single set of studies and parameters to work for all securities) that you can use to aid your decision making.

Good luck.

#20     Feb 20, 2002