Need Laptop advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John9999, Nov 8, 2018.

1. d08

d08

Where I bought my recent Lenovo, the guy running the shop suggested a business class HP is the best bet, that's what he was using. With laptops this is key, consumer class laptops are a big no-no - they're for kids and grandmas.

#21     Nov 9, 2018
    zdreg and tommcginnis like this.
  2. userque

userque

I also bought a (high performance) 17" Eluktronics ("mobile server," as they called it). Started having stability issues (various bsod's) after 1.5 years. (Even with restoring the original disk image and fresh windows 10 pro install.)

Support has been an issue for me as these laptops are really just re-branded Clevo laptops, imo.

IOW: you get what you pay for. Or, more exactly: you don't get what you don't pay for.

To OP:

Since 2005, I've owned laptops from three suppliers, in this order: Dell, Hp, and finally, Eluktronics.
    My satisfaction with them, listed from highest to lowest: Dell, Eluktronics, Hp

I would only buy high performance laptops now, since I deal with Machine Learning, Optimization, etc.

So, what you will need, will depend on what you plan to use it for, specifically.

Maybe try monitoring your CPU/Memory/Drive utilization while you're doing 'the most' with your current setup to kinda gauge how much more? CPU/Memory you could benefit from.

#22     Nov 9, 2018
    d08 and dealmaker like this.
  3. zdreg

zdreg

if your trading platform required window 8/10 your recommendation is not workable.
    what am I missing?

#23     Nov 12, 2018
  4. John9999

John9999

hey there everyone.. here are specs on a laptop I am looking at... is this good?

• AMD RyzenTM 3 2200U Dual-Core Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
    • 15.6" HD (1366 x 768) Widescreen LED-backlit Display
    • AMD RadeonTM Vega 3 Mobile Graphics
    • 8GB DDR4 Dual Channel Memory
    • 1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    • Windows 10 Home
    • Up to 6 Hours Battery Life
    • 1366 x 768 resolution
    • 16:9 aspect ratio
    • High-Definition Audio Support
    • Two Built-in Stereo Speakers
    • Built-in Digital Microphone
    • Digital Media Card Reader - Secure Digital™ (SD) Card
    • 802.11ac WiFi (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
    • 1 x USB 3.0 Port, 2 x USB 2.0 ports, 1 x HDMI™ 2.0 Port with HDCP support, 1 x Headphone/Speaker/Line-Out Jack, 1 x Ethernet (RJ-45) Port, 1 x DC-in Jack for AC Adapter
    • Webcam (640 x 480)
    • Dimensions: 15.02 (W) x 10.35 (D) x 0.98 (H) inches
    • Weight: 5.07 lbs

#24     Nov 13, 2018
  5. userque

userque

It depends.

#25     Nov 13, 2018
  6. John9999

John9999

well, I am running 2 programs at same time that both have streaming charts... does that help to answer

#26     Nov 13, 2018
  7. userque

userque

A little. Knowing what your current CPU and memory usage is (and capacity) while you're running your two programs and streaming charts would help more. But basically ...

Is your current CPU maxed out or too slow? Buy a laptop with a more powerful CPU. Is you current memory being maxed out? Buy a laptop with more memory.

Can you afford a solid state drive with the laptop? If so, buy it.

If you don't know what you need, either buy the most computing power you can afford; or, do a little digging:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...1.69i57j0l5.4533j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

#27     Nov 13, 2018
  8. DaveV

DaveV

This is a laptop with a mediocre CPU, a very slow hard drive and low display resolution. I assume that you are looking at a used laptop, if not, don't buy it. As another response stated, whether it will fit your needs depends on what you will be using it for.

#28     Nov 13, 2018
  9. d08

d08

That screen...you want minimum 1920x1080 on 15"in 2018. It makes a huge difference.

I can't find even an SSD, you need an SSD. Harddrive could be your secondary drive in the drive bay (DVD drive location) or better yet, an USB external one.

As it stands it's a very poor choice, sounds like it's from 8-10 years ago.

If you want an affordable but decent used laptop, get something like a Thinkpad T430, T440, X1 Carbon etc.

#29     Nov 13, 2018
  10. You can obtain very good laptops for cheap now, they are becoming cheaper and cheaper each day. 8GB is not common though, you can really prepare to spend like around $1000 for your needs with fast SSD as well and good graphics card too, just go for ASUS brand, never had any problems.

#30     May 17, 2019