Need ideas on charting software, looking to replace eSignal

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by brownsfan019, Dec 13, 2005.

1. There is another thread here discussing how bad eSignal was today. My trading partners and I feel it's time to move to a new charting package.

So, who would you recommend? We ONLY trade E-Mini's and the major ones - ER2, ES, QM, etc.

Thanks!!

2. http://www.quotetracker.com/

You would have flexibility as far as datafeeds. Can use your broker, IQFeed, Prophet.net, eSignal, etc. Can switch between them or run 2 concurrently.

3. jasper6

jasper6

4. Surdo

Surdo

I am sure I will go down as soon as I post this!!!.....but TradeStation has actually been dependable for the past few weeks/month(s).

I have some EL coded indees that only run on TS , so I am stuck or need to pay up to get new code.

5. Ensign is hard to beat if your trading strategy requires customization. For those who just want the basics, Quotetracker is second to none.

IB feed is more than adequate IF your strategies do not require each and every tick.

s

6. cmaxb

cmaxb

I need tick-by-tick, and spread charts, and foreign (Asian) markets. That pretty much limits me to CQG? I called today for a trial.

7. mokwit

mokwit

IB is not tick by tick but if you use IB then you can use IB data feed to Sierra or Ensign or Quotetracker with IB data. With backfill it is now really not that much different from a regular on demand feed. All are very reasonably priced with excellent service (i.e. the OPPOSITE of my eSignal experience). I use Sierra and QT. Ensign customiseability looks nice and I know the service is good but the individual data storage time untit configurations put me off.

If you don't use IB then Asian markets are difficult and expensive. As far as I am aware CQG does not carry Asian markets (maybe SGX?). Its basically S&P comstock, Reuters or BBG. DTNIQ carries the SGX. You could also look at Nextview or Quotepower. Futuresource is now part of Esignal. Esignal never worked properly for Asian markets anyway, no tick chart for HSI, excruciating lags in T&S, data completely corrupted for another market. I dumped them. If the product actually worked properly, was reasonably priced and 'blame the customer' strategy for customer service was addressed it would be a useful product.

8. IB is not tick by tick but if you use IB then you can use IB data feed to Sierra or Ensign or Quotetracker with IB data. With backfill it is now really not that much different from a regular on demand feed. All are very reasonably priced with excellent service (i.e. the OPPOSITE of my eSignal experience). I use Sierra and QT. Ensign customiseability looks nice and I know the service is good but the individual data storage time untit configurations put me off.

If you don't use IB then Asian markets are difficult and expensive. As far as I am aware CQG does not carry Asian markets (maybe SGX?). Its basically S&P comstock, Reuters or BBG. DTNIQ carries the SGX. You could also look at Nextview or Quotepower. Futuresource is now part of Esignal. Esignal never worked properly for Asian markets anyway, no tick chart for HSI, excruciating lags in T&S, data completely corrupted for another market. I dumped them. If the product actually worked properly, was reasonably priced and 'blame the customer' strategy for customer service was addressed it would be a useful product.

I am thinking of going with the Ensign & IB combo. Can you explain to me what you mean by "IB IS NOT TICK BY TICK" does this mean I will not see every trade that is execute in the market on the Time & Sales Window?
    Thank you

9. If you can afford it, CQG.
    Otherwise, Tradestation is a pretty good deal.

If you wish to use the IB feed, then Ensign should be OK.

By "NOT TICK BY TICK" means that you'll still see every trade, but they'll be arriving to your computer as aggregated snapshots - if that makes any sense - rather than near-real-time tick-by-tick.

PS. A lot of bad eSignal vibe recently. These jokers are gonna have to pull their finger out and improve their service + drop fees (instead of increasing them). Of course, that just makes too much sense :p

10. Can you use TS w/o funding an account? I refuse to clear any funds through TS, but hear good things about the analytics.

#10     Dec 13, 2005