Need historical data (1-min and 15-sec OHLC bars) for SSO …

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by abattia, May 20, 2010.

1. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Was not aware of that. Wouldn't want users losing sleep!

#11     May 25, 2010
  2. Just to round off the thread:

I looked into the following that provide extensive historical 1-minute data for ETFs
    www.grainmarketresearch.com
    - from what I can determine, this data is timestamped beginning-of-bar, so problematic to covert for import to NinjaTrader

www.pitrading.com
    - data is timestamped end-of-bar, + Pi Trading provide a free drag-and-drop ASCII-to-NinjaTrader data format converter that makes the whole process a breeze
    - the only drawback I can see is that the equity data provided covers only the standard trading day (09h30 - 16h00 EST), so it is not a source of historical data for the overnight equity session (but I am going to get the Pi Trading data anyway!).

Anyone know of a good source of 1-minute historical data for equity prices in the overnight session (i.e. 04h00 - 09h30 EST, and then 16h00 - 20h00 EST)?

Thanks.

#12     May 27, 2010
  3. Do you trade the pre/post market session? Other than news days, most markets (98%?) are illiquid and basically not tradable for any use other than academic.

Unless you actually are one of the few to trade the off-session times, I wouldn't worry about including outlier data in your testing model.

If you have a real-time data feed, do a time&sales on the symbols you trade and see what kind of volume your portfolio symbols generate outside the regular session..

#13     May 27, 2010
  4. I agree with everything you say above about the inadvisability of trading the pre/post sessions (my opinion is - unfortunately - formed also from personal experience as I tried to trade it for a few weeks once, with unhappy results!).

All my (auto)trading is done during the core session. However, the reason I am interested in pre/post session data is that some of the signals and indicators I use incorporate data from the non-core session period. And to be able to backtest and research effectively, I need this data historically ... seems it's hard to get hold of.

#14     May 27, 2010
  5. biba4

biba4

There are some other options. You can get one minute data for the 50 most liquid ETFs for $250 from kibot.com. Their data contains pre/after market sessions and the regular market session. Also, if you select SSO only, you can get data since 2008 for only $5 from analytichouse.com.

#15     Jul 1, 2010
  6. Thanks!

#16     Jul 1, 2010
  7. if you are willing to buy it i can sell you tick data on a per-ticker basis

#17     Jul 1, 2010
  8. For, say, AAPL, BAC, BGU, FCX, GS, JCP, SPY, SSO and MSFT:

a) what do you have available?
    b) what is the source?
    c) what is the cost?

#18     Jul 1, 2010
  9. ticktock

ticktock

Thanks for the links.

Look back through this thread. Someone recommended the stocks edition from pitrading. $159 for 1000+ stocks including 450+ ETFs going back to 2002.

I looked at analytichouse, but they want $500 for 125 ETFs only going back to 2008. I guess they limit the dates to save download bandwidth.

I am probably going to pick up the pitrading data next week after the holiday since they just released a new updates today.

#19     Jul 2, 2010
  10. I sent you a PM and offered to send you a sample.

#20     Jul 3, 2010