Need help with Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thetraderprofit, Feb 17, 2003.

1. I purchased two new HP's (2.53 MHZ) , and put in video graphic splitter cards (Radeon 7500). Sometimes the cursor is unreliable. Either it seems to get stuck, bouces backwards, or disappears to the bottom of the screen. The mice are light-based (correct term?) so it's not an issue of the roller ball. Plus, it happens inconsistently.

This is really annoying and I'm hoping it's not the computer as they charge a restocking fee.

I've blown $8,000 on computers the past week and this is starting to really piss me off.

I do now have 9 computers, including 2 laptops, so I can at least "get out of the office" on one side of my house and go to the "office" on the other side of my house. At least it's some form of exercise.

2. TGregg

TGregg

My first guess would be your mouse is fuxored. Is it a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer? If so, MS has had some trouble with many of these, and is offering to replace them for free.

To see if this is the problem, try using a different mouse.

3. It's the HP mouse that came withh both computers. I WILL try a different mouse, though

4. A common cause of that is bad video drivers (yes, video, not mouse). Check to make sure you have the most updated drivers.

5. taodr

taodr

presumably it's a usb. Did you unplug the mouse, reboot, shut down reinsert to jack and reboot ? Sometimes this works.

6. kowboy

kowboy

From what little I have experienced it is most likely a video driver problem.

The ATI 7500 cards did this for sure when I installed them with the original drivers that came on the original installation CD.

If you go to the ATI website there are newer versions of the driver for downloading. I am using the 8500 driver which runs the AGP dual card and two 7500 PCI cards.

I uninstalled the old drivers before I installed the updated ones, just to be safe.

Hope this helps.

Kowboy

7. kowboy

kowboy

When using the ATI display adapters, there are options to manually set the hardware acceleration and monitor operating speed and the color settings. I remember that I set these values to low numbers and then worked up from there in order to prevent the problem you are encountering.

I don't know if this is the problem, but it definitely applied to my installation.

Kowboy

8. Thanks for all the help, guys. And, especially you, Kowboy...

9. kowboy

kowboy

How about letting us all know what the problem was when you find out.

10. Bsulli

Bsulli