Need help trying to find Historic Spot Oil Prices

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by marshg, Apr 7, 2006.

1. marshg

marshg

Hi:
    I'm trying to can get a sense of the relationship between the Dow Jones-AIG Crude Oil Index [or it could be any spot oil price index that has been around for a long while] and oil service companies such as SLB. But when I try to do this on Yahoo Finance it only offers 5 days worth of data for the DJ Oil index. Do you know how I can find/access to this info? Ideally the longer term the better [i.e. at least 10 years would be good, but 30+ would be even better]. And ideally it could be shown in a chart form [i.e comparing index to say SLB]
    help is much appreciated,
    Marshall

2. try bigcharts.com they might have that index

3. marshg

marshg

thanks Whitster; I went to bigcharts but couldn't get it to recognize the symbol Yahoo Finance uses for DJ Oil index. So I did some fiddling around and found something for a CBOE oil index. I'm not sure if that's the right index for spot prices. And unfortunately, it wouldn't allow me to do any comparisons for that index against astock.
    so still looking for a solution.
    thanks again,
    Marshall

4. marshg

marshg

I finally figured out how to get bigcharts to do comparison. Assuming CBOE oil index is the appropriate one [i.e. measures spot oil prices or a good indicator of it] then that did the trick.
    thanks!