Need Help Researching Portfolio with Gold in It

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by marshg, Aug 8, 2011.

1. marshg

marshg

Hi:
    I’m interested to to see how a portfolio of 50% stocks [including dividends] and 50% gold [the commodity, not stocks] would have done since 1975. This is a bit trickier than just looking up stock prices on Yahoo finance given a gold etf didn't exist until rather recently. I'm also curious what happens i f you put bonds into the mix. Can anyone direct me where I could get that data or if it's not readily available where I could purchase it or set up the data for me so I could then play with different combinations [of course I'd be willing to pay someone for doing that]? Also, if there is a way to factor in bond income/yield received during the time one held bonds would be important for figuring out a good combination.
    thanks,
    Marshall

2. You can look at the bond indices (e.g. Lehman Agg, now known as the iShares Barclays Agg), as they're total return. All the data is out there and I would imagine Yahoo Finance should have it.

3. rosy2

rosy2

4. Try going to kitco for historical spot gold. If they don't have it just google a bit and you will find something that goes back as far as you need (I've been able to do this in the past).

5. marshg

marshg

thanks for the quick responses. I'll ck out some of the resources. I'm a bit less confident than you guys that it will be so easy for me, but I will try and remain open to other ideas. The simpler the better given I'm not used to doing this.
    thanks again for your help!