Need Help Developing a New Trading Style for the ES

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by VisionTrader, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Visiontrader,

I too caught the late day up move. Actually it was my only good trade today.

I tried to catch the lunchtime up move toooo early. Twice.

Noting that our systems are somewhat similair, where did you see the short in the am ? I sure wish I would have.

#41     Jul 21, 2003
  2. Very clear on the M5

#42     Jul 21, 2003
  3. Ahh, you're using premarket / 24 hr charts.

Now I see.

#43     Jul 22, 2003
  4. You can do an interesting experiment. Plat the same indicators on a 15 tick chart. Look at after/premarket. The signals are consistent. On longer time frame charts you have to use the entire session in my opinion.

#44     Jul 22, 2003
  5. Please check the Psychology Forum

#45     Jul 22, 2003
  6. VT

Don't know if you have seen this, but, thought of you when I read this from Ramatour (don't know if I spelled the name right)

" Conversely, there are many traders that have tried to move up to the larger timeframes, in search of less stress and to stop the account from bleeding with losses spent on commissions. Instead of watching a 1-min, they move to 5 or 15 min timeframe. What happens more often than not is, they get very fidgety and trigger-happy, like a 5-year old boy who can’t sit still for 5 mins. They have been conditioned on the 1-min charts for so long, that they lose their patience and if they could, they’d drop some “speed” in Father Time’s coffee. That’s impossible, so they start dropping down timeframes.

If you are in either situation, you are on a path to stress, anxiety and or self-financial destruction. No different than putting on a pair of reading glasses if you don’t need them or not wearing your glasses for nearsightedness and then driving cross country at night.

Here’s how you can begin fighting this demon. First, ask yourself…”What is my primary timeframe?”

- Investing with weekly charts?
    - Swinging with dailys and or 60’s?
    - Daytrading with 15-min, 5-min?
    - Or drinking Red Bull and or Dunkin Donuts coffee and then trading the 1-min?

Whatever the answer is, make sure you’re honest and give it a REAL try. Let’s take daytrading with 15-min charts as an example.

- Start with the daily and know the significant pattern, trend, prices, MA(s), support, resistance, etc.
    - Drop down to the 60-min and repeat
    - Drop down to the 15-min and repeat
    - THEN STOP!!!
    - Predetermine, EST, RR, open it, manage, and close it
    - Done "

#46     Jul 28, 2003
  7. Thanks TS,

My goal this week is simply to not overtrade. Biggest issue by far. We'll see.

I traded the 5M chart all day on Friday. If you notice, there were no DT or DB set-ups. ES up 40,000 points and I did not make one trade.

The one minute chart gave several nice set-ups on Friday. I am trying to focus on 1M, 3M and tops 5M. Signals on the 1M with the trend only, unless something really leads me a diiff way.

Thanks for thinking of me. Need all the help I can get.

#47     Jul 28, 2003
  8. Ditch

Ditch

VT,

here's a link to a ensign newsletter, it describes a mechanical system that trades retracements can be downloaded from their website. with a few additional rules it's profitablity can be greatly improved. worth taking a look.

http://www.ensignsoftware.com/tips/tradingtips43.htm

#48     Jul 28, 2003
  9. Thanks Ditch. Will take a look later tonight.

#49     Jul 28, 2003