Need help coding with InvestorR/T

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by TinGull, Feb 19, 2007.

1. TinGull

TinGull

Hi there,

I am wondering if someone out there might be able to shed a little light on coding with InvestorR/T? I'm trying to backtest a simple strategy and writing code is definitely not my strong suit as I'm quickly finding out.

If anyone is willing to help, please let me know :)

thanks!!!

Chris

2. notouch

notouch

You need to learn basic coding concepts that are universal to all languages if you're not familiar with them already. Excel VBA is an excellent way to learn to program. Check out Ed Robinson's 'Excel VBA in easy steps' for a cheap as chips and well illustrated book that will quickly get you started with programming basics. After that starting to program with Investor/IT should be easy.

3. TinGull

TinGull

thanks notouch. I'll see if my library has that around and go grab it tonight.

4. notouch

notouch

I just looked at the Investor/RT formula language. It's not based on any other programming language (like eSignal is based on javascript and Metastock's is based on VBA). It seems very simple but lacking in functionality for "hardcore" programmers. A lot of the stuff you would learn with Excel VBA you wouldn't be able to implement with RTL. Conditionals and operators are all you need to know. Learning Excel VBA should be helpful though if you're not getting anywhere with the RTL tutorials on the linnsoft website.

5. TinGull

TinGull

Cool. It looked quite a bit different than EasyLanguage. Hopefully someone out there has done some sort of work with IRT and could lend a quick hand.

Thanks notouch

6. TinGull,

I can help you with RTL. Just post here what you're looking to program, and I'll help you with the syntax.

7. TinGull

TinGull

Thanks George,

I've actually got all I need done for now..but if I need anymore help, which I'm sure I might...I'll be sure to drop you line :)

Thanks!!!