Need Experienced Input Here

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by circadian, May 13, 2009.

1. This, I agree.

Only thing I can add is...

I'll throw away all my Windows app. if Linux had an IDE as good as Visual Studios.

#21     May 28, 2009
  2. I guess its because I already know how to program and feel like learning to program is not an overly taxing proposition. Part of the thing I like about trading is learning things that are not directly related but can be applied to trading and automated trading systems. A few key examples for myself is I have developed an interest in genetic algorithms and fuzzy logic and have increased my knowledge of signal processing.

My system now, puts out small gains which I can not live off of. Its supplemental income at this point. Someday, I hope to make it work so I can make a living off of it, we will see. Even if it all goes to hell and I blow my account up, I can at least leave the experience with increased knowledge and wisdom.

#22     May 29, 2009
  3. edbar

edbar

Don't you mean "2" kinds of people?

And the answer to "what programming language to learn for the summer?" is DOS

Ed

#23     Jun 3, 2009

4. 10 in binary system = 2 in decimal system. noob. and the answer is not DOS ;-)

rookie

#24     Jun 3, 2009
  5. edbar

edbar

ha. ha. LOL. That is funny. Bogus Exception, I thought the 10 was a typo. ha. ha.

OK. If you really believe that DOS is useless, then go with C# or Flash.

But go with something useful because you have a use for it. Only you can make that decision.

Ed

#25     Jun 3, 2009
  6. I guess you geeks missed the fact that he said he is graduating from business school, knows excel but not vba and wants to learn programming for himself and to be extra competitive...
    VBA is a no brainer...hes a business guy, not a computer scientist.

#26     Jun 3, 2009
  7. From that perspective, VBA is best. It is the language of Office (Excel being the one he'd need it in most), and the leap from VBA to VB.NET is short.

pat
    :)

(Original poster comments?)

#27     Jun 5, 2009
  8. For a rookie, you're pretty sharp! You win! :)

pat
    :)

P.S. I guess Ed just doesn't get my sense of humor... :(

#28     Jun 5, 2009
  9. MTRIG

MTRIG

I work in .NET, SQL Server and Oracle.

Take a look at C# .NET Microsoft has overtaken Java and C# can be used in all types of apps. I use it for client, web, and DLLs.

#29     Jun 7, 2009