Need Computer Help Please. Processor Vs. RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ess1096, Oct 6, 2008.

1. ess1096

ess1096

I'm purchasing a new family computer (not for trading) and I'd like to know.................. which is more important for multi-tasking, processor or memory?

My kids put a huge demand on the system of our current computer by watching youtube videos while IM'ing friends and listening to iTunes all while doing homework on a word program.
    And forget about running games, they like Sims and I like Tiger Woods PGA tour but they no longer run.

So my question, if you don't mind offering your advice, is...............
    which is more important for multi-tasking, processor or memory?

Thanks! :cool:

2. EvilC0P

EvilC0P

Gaming involved : you need a decent Video Card [ a real one.. not onboard]
    Memory : 2gb min/max and you shouldn't have any prob with those multiple sofwtare running all at once.
    Processor : of course the fastest the better. this is the brain that runs all those software at once and feeds your video card.

Mainly depends on your budget.
    my 2cents

3. ess1096

ess1096

Thanks Bro

How's this look?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Q8200 Quad-Core (4MB L2 cache,2.33GHz,1333FSB) edit

MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs edit

HARD DRIVE 750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit

VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4 edit

4. EvilC0P

EvilC0P

you planning on buying a Brand [ Dell, HP, Alienware, IBM, ...] or build it yourself? putting parts all together

5. ess1096

ess1096

DELL.
    I've had many Dells in the past with no complaints but all of the HPs I had were CRAP.

6. cokezero

cokezero

I would suggest you don't spend a fortune on computers because it's going to be a complete write off in 3 or 4 years.

These days the lower cost CPUs are so powerful they can handle pretty much everything except for extreme gaming and number crunching. I would suggest you go for a Intel Core 2 Quad (4 cores) Q6600. This CPU has a very good performance/cost ratio. It is based on an older 65nm manufacturing process but there is really very little difference between the 65nm process and the newer 45nm process.

As for memory 2GB is sort of the standard now and the price is so cheap these days it's really worth going for 2GB.

If your kids are into 3D games then you will need a 3D graphics card. I recommend to go for a Nvidia over ATI as I found that they're more compatible with various brands of motherboards. I had issues with ATI with some lower cost motherboards.

Hope it helps...

7. EvilC0P

EvilC0P

Looks all good to me, except for the video card.
    I hate ATI's catalyst drivers. and NVIDIA is much more supported in games. but i think that Dell mainly offers ATI solutions. but the 3870 is a decent one.

which box were you looking at? i took a quick peak at Dell's offering, i fumbled on the XPS 420, which offer some nvidia video card as an option.

8. ess1096

ess1096

Looking at the XPS 420

9. Don't be fooled by only looking at the CPU speed, make sure the front side bus is high as well, this is what causes the bottle neck effect of opening many programs, go for as much ram as possible they have gotten so cheap now a days. But looks like a solid setup for family computing prob looking at 1100-1200 correct?

10. gnome

gnome

$1100-$1200?

Depends mostly upon how large and what type of monitor.... and whether you get a high performance video card.

Unless you're planning to store movies or lots of pictures, no need to go crazy with a huge hard drive.

And a Q8200 should be a good bang for the buck.

#10     Oct 6, 2008