Need Career Advice

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Corso482, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Should I bother pursuing a career in finance/investment management? Or should I just stick to trading myself? I have no idea how the investment management/finance/securities industry works.

I'm really into trading and the market in general, but I can't stand traditional fundamental investing. I'll be damned if I'm going to research earnings or look at P/E ratios all day.

I'm guessing jobs based on short term trading and TA are hard to come by, although I could be wrong. I assume there're many hedge funds and CTA's that use TA and quant based techniques, but then again, how hard is it to get these jobs?

I'm about to graduate from college so I'm kind of freaking out about this. Oh, and I'm an English major right now, so I'm debating whether I should stay longer to double major in Econ, because I figure it would get my foot in the door of a market-related job.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

2. I think you need to take some Finance and Investment courses before you consider a job in that industry. And starting out, you'll have to do analytical stuff first. The alternative is prop trading where you'll be lucky to make minimum wage in your first year or two.