Need advice

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by NaveedH, Apr 5, 2012.

1. NaveedH

NaveedH

Hey fellas,

Yes, its my first post. It's also my second month trading (equities) and now I want to enter it as a career because I've become obsessed with the challenge. I'm a recent engineering grad from the Univ. of Texas in Austin, and I've always seen myself as smarter than most and I want to prove it by working in the most competitive environment in the world. I'm not trying to find a job yet, as I know it wouldn't be feasible for anyone to take on a fresh mind like myself.

I intend on doing this for a long time because I just had one of those epiphanies where you realize what you want to do for the rest of your life (too late, I know). My question to you is... how do I break in with an irrelevant degree and no experience? Any advice? I apologize if this isn't the place for it, in which case, please take this off...

Thanks much!

2. Roark

Roark

When the market and a big ego meet, who do you think wins?

3. jo0477

jo0477

Has anyone else noticed a pattern of engineers who want to ditch their field and trade for a living? Not anything negative, just an observation.

I'm curious because the engineers that I know personally all enjoy their careers thoroughly and would never consider leaving for any other endeavor. On top of it, they clock fantastic $$ so I'm not sure why so many on here seem to be unhappy. I would think that many would realize that it may not be the field for them while in school and switch to finance, math, comp sci, etc...

OP, do you mind sharing what branch of eng. you majored in? Also, have you thought about working for awhile to pay off debts, build a bankroll, and trade on the side? Futures or FX give you plenty of opportunity to trade outside RTH (this is what I do to get my fix!).

Best of luck dude :cool:

JO

4. 1) Keep your day-job forever. :(
    2) You're in love with the "prospect of earning a lot of money", not trading, itself. :)
    3) Seek "excitement" outside of the market and your job. :cool:

5. NaveedH

NaveedH

I graduated with a degree in civil engineering... but I got into it five years ago as a recommendation from my dad and because I didn't know what I wanted to do but I knew I wanted to make fair money with decent job security. Now I realize that engineering 1. Isn't hard 2. Is monotonous 3. Has a low ceiling 4. Isn't for people like me who need interaction with people to keep them into it.

I've built up some capital because I literally shoved all of my money into a ticker that had its CEO announce a buyback for four times the price and then continue to not respond until NASDAQ shut him down.

As for the ego... I honestly don't have one. I surely don't think I can just walk onto the scene and have any success. I know I need to be taught for years before I can succeed... I also know that my ability to learn surpasses the vast majority, especially when I truly enjoy what I'm doing.

As for liking the prospect of making money... who doesn't like that? Isn't that one of the main draws of trading, the volatility?
    I enjoy statistics and I'm determined use compound interest to my full advantage (i.e. save early).

By the way I appreciate you guys not taking my head off verbally... and not making fun of our bad football and basketball teams.

6. 1) The activity of trading isn't supposed to be constantly "exciting and breathtaking". Similar to engineering or anything else, it's "boring" most of the time. :eek:
    2) What will you do if you become a career-changer into trading and find it to be monotonous AND you don't learn the important things you need to know to do well? :confused: :( :mad: :confused:

7. magicz

magicz

as the devil advocate: these are the type of traders we need more of to support the market. hard earn dollar turns into dumb money for the market.:p

8. NaveedH

NaveedH

You're making the assumption that I'm willing to put up my own capital in something I know nothing about. You may be right... But "these" isn't me. I'll let you know when I put my first penny in a company or a commodity I know nothing about.

9. NaveedH

NaveedH

Upon doing some more research.. I've noticed a flow of jobs that lead to trading (energy at least).

Please correct me accordingly

Risk Analyst ---> Scheduler ---> Trader

Another question I have is... can I skip the first if I have relevant experience in scheduling with respect to construction projects?

10. jo0477

jo0477

Having traversed the route from scheduler to trader, it's a great way to break into the industry. However, it's not as glamorous as it sounds. Physical markets are a different animal and depending on your role, it's a lot of risk management (get ready for the risk guys to be all over your book... I still hate the letters VAR)

Also, scheduling sucks for the most part, especially in the beginning (at least IMHO) but its the best way to get a handle on the functioning of the physical markets. I'm not sure what you mean by construction experience but this is not a project management/timeline type role. You would be facilitating the transfer of energy via pipeline, transmission (power) lines, etc, at various settlement points, to various counterparties as per the traders deals and terms.

These roles vary depending on the type of company you work for as well. For example, I was a trader for a midstream marketer which is a different role than a trader at a producer desk.

Geographically (assuming Texas) you're in a great spot to start :D

#10     Apr 19, 2012